Recovering data from a non performing WD external drive

Repurr 06:29 19 Feb 14

Hi,

I have a WD Essential 1TB external hard drive which is working (requisite lights on the drive are on etc) but it is not been picked up by my PC (Vista Home Premium) when plugged in and causes my PC to freeze if plugged in after PC is turned on.

I have tried a different usb cable and port - alas no success.

I can see it on my laptop (Windows 7 Professional) as a drive but it is showing no data and asks if the disk to be formatted.

There is a lot of data on the disk I want to take off before I bin it.

Welcome suggestions on:

How to get this drive to work or

Simply recover the data that is on it.

Thanks for your help

BRYNIT 08:51 19 Feb 14

I can think of three possible faults.

1. Corrupt partition on drive. Try Easeus partition recovery (Free) CLICK HERE

2. Circuit board in HD casing faulty. Remove HD and connect direct to a computer.

3. Faulty HD.

1]: [click here

bumpkin 22:43 06 Mar 14

crewjames, "use Remo recover software to recover data from non WD external drive"

How does that make any sense when OP wants to recover from a WD drive.

This is looking like spam to me.

lotvic 22:58 06 Mar 14

bumpkin, yes he's a spammer in the making, just signed up for pca, and First post is advert for the recover software to buy $$s.

Obviously useless anyway if drive not spinning :)

Watch out for when he/she starts posting Links.

bumpkin 23:12 06 Mar 14

Thought so from the way it was phrased.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 07 Mar 14

I can see it on my laptop (Windows 7 Professional) as a drive but it is showing no data and asks if the disk to be formatted.

The fact that it is seen means that the drive is working mechanically and electrically so it looks like a corruption problem to the partition information.

so No.1 on the link from Brynit is the best option something else to try is TEST disk tutorial

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017