recovering data from laptop hdd

Maryp 17:41 PM 23 Jun 12

A drink got spilt on my acer laptop and fried it so it wont switch on, but the harddrive was still ok, I bought this to try to recover some of the data. Its connected up to my desktop, but when I open it it shows a load of files but the files wont open and I get a 'delayed write failure' message. Any tips how I can open the fies, I back up my stuff quite regularly, so theres only really one file I'm need, I just cant get to it. The laptop was Vista, the desktop is XP.

rdave13 17:50 PM 23 Jun 12

Have a look at this.

Maryp 18:22 PM 23 Jun 12

Done that, but it says 'Drive E has not been formatted, do you want to format it now?' If I format it I'll loose everything wont I? So I clicked no and it wont let me any further.

Maryp 18:48 PM 23 Jun 12

I found drive E in disk management now, but it says its empty, so i switched it back and it still says its empty. Wheres all the stuff gone, how can i get it back now!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 PM 23 Jun 12

try recuva

rdave13 19:25 PM 23 Jun 12

You could also try Easus Free Data Recovery Software which will allow 1 GB of recovered data. Link.

spencer2004 22:15 PM 23 Jun 12

It sounds like some of the drink you spilled on the laptop has got into the hard drive which would make the data near impossible to recover. You could try a recovery program like others have suggested, if that dosent work then do a quick format on the hard drive and try to recover the data again. If that dosen't work your data is probably lost forever.

T0SH 23:53 PM 23 Jun 12

A Slax linux live (Bootable) CD is the very best method of file recovery I have found to date

Boot up and log on to the linux desktop, then when you plug in your usb iomax drive, it will pop up a window where you can choose to "open in a new window" , from where you can explore the windows file system, clicking on Slax desktop "System" icon will open up a second window where you can choose "Storage Media" which shows all the drives connected to your PC choose the PC windows drive and and copy paste or drag and drop to recover them to an empty recovered files folder you created in windows before you booted to the live CD

Sounds quite complicated but it is very easy

Google for how to make a slax linux live CD

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…