Recovering data from hard drive failure

kissanpoika 22:52 31 Aug 05

Hi,

I've ended up being the guy that tends to do most of the fixing of things that go wrong with my friends and families computers and so far I've seem to have muddled through alright. However, my girlfriend has just come back from visiting her brother and a hard drive of his has died which contained lots of photos of his kids on that he hadn't backed up... she brought it back to see if I can do anything.

I set it up as a slave in my machine but when i try and boot up it makes horrible grinding noises and gets stuck pre-BIOS screen. I did manage to get into the BIOS once but it said there was no slave present (all the while making horrible noises so I knew it was there!)

So I've taken it out and tried to do some background reading and everywhere seems to say it's a mechanical failure and the only hope is to send it off to professional data recovery experts. Unfortunately those guys charge way more than he can afford which leaves 3 options that i can see:

1 - can anyone here recommend someone that does this kind of recovery work cheaply for "home users"?

2 - Give the "old wives tales" a go from this article -click here Has anyone tried any of these with success?

3 - tell him he's lost those photos of his kids. Which would be a real shame.

Unless anyone can think of anything else?

Many thanks.

VoG II 22:55 31 Aug 05

1) Drive Rescue click here

2)Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours

3) Dispose of the kids. Then it will match.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now