//some 3rd party need geo

Recovering data from hard disk that's not working

khaiiia 15:16 08 Jun 03

I replaced my faulty motherboard with a new one only to find that the computer does not boot up from the hard drive.

The hard drive does not get recognised by the system. I phoned the people who sold me the motherboard and they say that the hard drive is probably faulty.

If that is the case is there any way the data can be recovered? Because i dont want to lose 30GB of data.

TBH1 15:57 08 Jun 03

if your hard drive worked before you upgraded, it doesn't seem a hard drive problem to me - - -maybe you will be able to see it if you boot from floppy.

Diemmess 17:36 08 Jun 03

Adding to TBH1's comment, do check that you have the data cable properly connected.... The correct end to the Primary IDE socket, and the red marking to pin 1 at each end.

The Spires 17:52 08 Jun 03

When you say the system is not seeing the drive do you mean The Bios? Or Windows?

khaiiia 19:27 09 Jun 03

The Bios is't recognising the drive propery.

It is quite confusing, the new system first didn't recognise the drive but when i went into bios i had to manually select "auto" to detect the drive. the bios then shows the drive ID and a maximum capacity of 8GB rather than 40GB.

When I save and exit, it restarts again, and it doesn't detect the drive anymore. It stalls and says "system boot failure, insert disk and press enter"

I could try booting from floppy, will that erase the data from the hard drive?

Diemmess 17:00 10 Jun 03

Nearly a day after you last posted--

No,..... No risk of damage or corruption. The floppy merely carries instructions so that you can do simple things without going through the Windows procedure or using your HD.

I do think you should double check the cables to your new HD. See my offering to you on this thread on Sunday.

If the data cable is wrong then the HD cannot pass information to and from the computer. Literally unplug from both Motherboard and HD.
Then you can make sure you reconnect "by the book."

One final point........If you start the computer from a floppy and arrive eventually at a black screen with A:> showing, then type dir c: and press enter.

If your hard disk is working and properly connected you will see a list of the Directories and files on drive c:

If the HD really is in trouble or is wrongly connected you will have an error message like "Bad command" and it will go back to A:>.

paddyjack 19:47 10 Jun 03

What OS are you using?

The problem sounds like there are 2 files missing 'command.com' and 'io.sys'. If you have a boot floppy they can be copied over to the C: drive.

At the moment I can not remember the command to do the task!

paddyjack 19:54 10 Jun 03

Thanks to 'Switcher'

If you have a startup floppy for your OS then boot to the floppy and issue the command sys c: this will ensure that the Three DOS system files including Command.com are placed in the root directory of your Hard drive.
The above applies to Win9X systems and ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…