Recovering corrupted Excel files

adam32 16:23 02 Oct 10

I have been asked to help with recovering some corrupted .xls files (created with Excel 2000, but viewed with the 2007 version). Excel 2007's repair function did not work; my 2010 version cannot repair them either. I suggested trying to view them with Open Office Calc, but that was a long shot, I admit.

So I think that some kind of commercial Excel file recovery software is the only option. I have no experience of them, so if any of you have used a particular example of this software and found it effective, what do you recommend?

wiz-king 16:30 02 Oct 10

Did OO Calc view them? It has opened all the Excel files I have tried it with.

VoG II 16:30 02 Oct 10

Try this click here

adam32 16:36 02 Oct 10

wiz-king: No, sadly, hence the bit about it being a long shot! Apparently, they looked the same as they did when I tried to view/repair them in 2010: just a bunch of strange characters and symbols.

VoG: Thanks for the link. I will try saving one as XML.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…