Recover XP key.

cymbo 19:45 19 Nov 05

Good Evening,

A friend of mine has a Dell works laptop with XP Home installed. For whatever reason, it wouldn't boot up, just freezing seconds after starting the boot sequence and she tried everything she could think of without success. I might add that she is highly experienced, far more so than me. As she had a new unused OEM copy of XP Home, she decided to do a re-install with it. All appeared to go well, it accepted the new O/S and key code but won't let her activate without the original key which she does not have.
Can anyone suggest a way to recover this key from the computer or possibly a work around of the problem?

Thanks

bremner 20:00 19 Nov 05

Something is not right.

The new OEM copy should not require the old key - it will have its own.

In any event the old key will not be recoverable after the reinstall of the O/S as the registry will have been overwritten.

cymbo 20:13 19 Nov 05

Thanks for your response.
I was given this problem by email and yes, we realise the original key probably can't be recovered now but thought it was worth asking.
However upon trying to activate the lady is being asked for the original key, strange as it might seem.

bremner 20:57 19 Nov 05

I have never had the situation where I have been asked for a key when activating XP. The key was only ever required at the start of the installation.

It asks for the activation code to be typed in if you are not doing it online but not the key.

Kegger 21:19 19 Nov 05

if this a Dell PC it will have the Microsoft OEM sticker attached to the bottom of the laptop with the activation code printed on it.kegger

cymbo 22:04 19 Nov 05

Thanks for your help chaps. I have been trying to contact the lady but she must have gone out. Kegger, maybe it will be that simple to get the key, hope so. I will report back when I make contact with her.
Thanks.

cymbo 22:42 20 Nov 05

Good evening,

I totally got the wrong end of the stick with this problem so I am redrafting it.

My friend has a works Dell laptop with XP Home installed. She has the key but not the disc for this installation. The computer was freezing up seconds into the boot sequence and she could not get any further no matter what she tried. She therefore decided to do a 'repair' install using a new OEM copy of XP Home which she had. The repair was successful but she had to input the key for the new disc. She now wants to know is it possible to revert back to having only the original key tied to the installation. It was after all a repair.

Thanks.

cymbo.

cymbo 23:08 20 Nov 05

Whoops typo, should read,
'install using a new OEM copy of XP Home which she had the key'

cymbo 23:13 20 Nov 05

Getting worse. I thought I'd made a typo and I haven't. Been a long day.

Chegs ®™ 23:28 20 Nov 05

Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows Click OK and close regedit Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.DO NOT CALL THEM. Click Change Product Key (at the bottom). Enter your valid Product Key. Press Update and close the window. If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later Restart your computer Verify the change
After the workstation restarts, click Start > Run Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes. Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'

smokingbeagle 23:28 20 Nov 05

click here

Allows you to view and amend the product key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…