Recover corrupt file directory that disappeared

phil2255 18:55 20 May 15

A couple of weeks ago, the hard disk on my old laptop failed. However luckily enough (or so I thought), I had made a backup of my files on an external hard drive a few months before, so thought it would be easy to retrieve all my files barring recent ones after the backup.

I had recently bought a new laptop, so plugged the drive in and found the folder directory where my files were. Before I copied it, I decided to rename the folder so I could identify it better. Then just as I renamed it the PC lost the connection to the drive, and then instantly reconnected (the cable must have been dodgy). I went back to my files and the folder was missing, all my documents, music, photos etc, nowhere to be seen.

I have downloaded various data recovery programs, and most of them find all my files, however they want me to pay £60+ to recover my own files!! I tried a completely free one, and it didnt seem to find anything.

Can you recommend a free data recovery tool which you can guarantee will find all my files in the correct directory, or better still a way to do this in windows or using command prompt?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 20 May 15

There are no guarantees

Recuva is good for finding files

and test disk works to recover partions ad files and folders but is difficult to use

both are free just google for them.

phil2255 20:54 20 May 15

recuva was one of the free ones I tried but it seemed to miss out a lot of files. But the paid ones found the lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac