Recover Contacts Litst from Outlook Express-How?

Kooji 11:47 26 Jan 09

Hi All,

I took delivery of a new laptop. I have the hard drive from my previous machine (which had crashed). Is it possible to find the Outlook Express programme from the old HD and retrieve the list of contacts. Even better is it possible to install the list of contacts onto the new machine? The previous machine ran windows XP. The new machine runs windows Vista. Can someone take me throught the retrieval process please. If I can find the Contact List I'm even willng to input the addresses one by one. Idiot Proof advice much appreciated.
Kooji

Taff™ 12:21 26 Jan 09

You need to find your Windows Address Book on the XP Machine. Search for all files called *.wab and include hidden files and folders. On the vista machine copy this to Users>[Your User Name]>Contacts and open Windows Mail which replaced OE in Vista. On the top row click on the Contacts Icon and a new window will open. In the right hand pane double click the .wab file and it will import all the contacts for you.

Kooji 13:05 26 Jan 09

Taff™

I have found the address book and moved it into the my documents window. It came as a .wab file. But when I try to open it it's unreadable. I've tried to convert it but It won't change, any advice on what I could try next?
Kooji

scotty 13:53 26 Jan 09

I think Windows Mail is like Outlook Express in so far as there is an import option. Try looking in the File menu for the Import/Export option. Selecting this in OE brings up a simple wizard to guide you through the import process.

Kooji 15:32 26 Jan 09

Taff™ scotty,

Many thanks for your first rate advice. I found the wizard and managed to do what I wanted. What a great forum this is!!

Cheers-Kooji

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac