Recording vynile records to CD's

wadham 15:25 05 Mar 04

I have been recording from my records to CD OK. But I have bought a new magnetic cartridge as before but unfortunatly took connecting coloured wires from pickup end without noting their positions. Allthough cartridge is colour coded the pickup pins are not. My old cart. is marked Rs, Rg, Ls & Lg (does this mean sound & earth?)& the new one red, green, blue & white. I am thinking of going directly to the pins opposite each other but am a bit concerned. I am told the orintation is standard but not always !!. Any help please ?

SEASHANTY 16:05 05 Mar 04

This website says the pins are colour coded. Perhaps not your model but there should be some means of making an identification. Input your cartridge model number and system into google and see if you can trace it that way
click here

wadham 16:39 05 Mar 04

Thanks for help.

Diemmess 17:41 05 Mar 04

If the research method suggested by wadham fails, then I would guess the R and L are obviously Right and Left and the s and g are Signal and Ground respectively.

If you can make out which is the braiding and which the core, then the signal relates to the core and the screen-brading to ground.

At the stage of the pickup cartridge voltages are tiny and current negligible so even if you have to experiment, there's no fear of doing something "a nasty."

Diemmess 17:44 05 Mar 04

^

wadham 11:38 06 Mar 04

I went to Seashanty's recomended site: lots of info :but got same problem as always, wires to cart.ok but no help on wires to tonearm. I am going to connect to pins immediatly in line with cartridge pins. Perhaps my problem is I can't spell VINYL correctly!! Thank you all

wadham 11:42 06 Mar 04

ps. forget the vynil bit I ws thinking of one of my other mails

wadham 17:55 06 Mar 04

Went from pin to opposite pin but no sound.

wadham 17:58 06 Mar 04

I will try & follow ground & centre pin on output phono plugs up to tonearm pins

Diemmess 18:19 06 Mar 04

Intrigued still by your problem.

Two things come to mind when I imagine what it looks like. (It is just the sort of error I make all too often)

1) A bit cheeky this, but it has to be asked.... Is the replacement cartridge exactly as specified for your player? Only asking because the impedance matching can be enormously different if it is not a valid replacement.

2) Although you may appear to have 4 connections to make, two of them, (the left and right ground) may be connected somwhere inside the circuit.

Suppose you then in trying to see which one works,
connect one of these grounded connections to a signal terminal you may well be grounding the whole signal and wondering why nothing is happening.

I am trying to imagine what it looks like with the wires to be connected to the cartridge. If they are not colour coded, can you see them as pairs?

I would try (to start with) connecting just two conductors, preferably two that seem to be part of the same pair.

When these are correct, you will at best have only one channel and if there is a loud hum, swop them over.

Bit by bit you should get there (assuming the cartridge is the correct one). Better luck this time.

wadham 12:10 07 Mar 04

Diemmess
Thanks for help. My problem as in your No2 ? is that I got sold a M/coil Cart not Mag according to Ortofon site. I've now got a sylus for my old cart (ADC,pins marked Rs, Rg etc) also Im told pins connect "back to back". Am trying this & will let you Know if OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now