recording from vinyl records to CD

ispahan 17:13 23 Aug 05

an anyone tell me what I need to record my old vinyl records to cd. As inexpensive as possible

Diemmess 17:53 23 Aug 05

Simplest list I can suggest.........

Sound card (you already have).

Software (Free) Audacity click here

A suitable connection from your pickup/player to the Line In (green socket) on your sound card.

Audacity will allow some editing and make it fairly simple to erase any loud clicks. It will also allow you to save in several formats- wav etc.

One snag from my experience, is that my turntable signal needed a pre-amplifier, and this meant using the "whole works" and keeping the volume down low, to avoid overmodulation.

pj123 17:56 23 Aug 05

Check out these previous threads.

click here

Hamish 17:58 23 Aug 05

Try this site click here

GaT7 17:59 23 Aug 05

Here's a good tutorial click here (from Stuartli's recent post at click here). G

josie mayhem 19:09 23 Aug 05

If you've got a separate deck, then a similar set-up to mine might be possiable.

Check if the deck can have it's amp switched on and off, on my two decks the switch is loacated underneath, but some decks you have a method of switching the amp on under the turntable rubber matt. If you have this then you should be able to get away with out having to buy any preamps bits.

To connect the deck to the line in on your sound card, you will need two rca female to female conectors you can get these from any music or audio/visual shop (music shop properly cheaper(approx £1 for individual connector or a block of three for about £5)) you will also need a 2 - 1 rca cable. This will enable you to connect the speaker wires of the deck and channel them down to a individual socket for the line-in.

If you haven't got any recording software, try Audacity which is free-ware and this will record from your line-in. You can also get a mp3 converter for this as well.

If you need a new deck, the two I use are a goodmans and sony midi decks both cost less than £50 and give very good sound when recording.

hope this helps.

jack 20:03 23 Aug 05

One difficulty not mentioned in all the above excellent advice is.
Lumpy Record playing equipment in one place - the lounge and computer i the 'den'[box room] couple this with the need to preamp the out put of the discs. So Tape record the disks on the audio system, then use a walkman type player with a double male 3mm lead headphone jack on playert to line on computer.
Mention has been made of loss of quality,bt this method but I have not found this to be significant.

dukeboxhero 21:03 23 Aug 05

came across this in argos cat click here

GaT7 22:23 23 Aug 05

A Creative SB Live 24-bit internal (PCI) soundcard will do the same job as the external one, at about half the price click here.

The main difference between the two is that there's no remote included with the internal one. It's the Creative SOFTWARE (internal/external doesn't matter) that "converts tracks to MP3 & removes cracks, pops and hiss from old audio sources".

If you already have a soundcard then there's no point in getting another one (I'm trying to be 'as inexpensive as possible') unless what you have is low quality rubbish. A 24-bit soundcard will improve the quality of sound & recordings. G

ispahan 12:11 24 Aug 05

I would like to thank all contributors to this thread I have a much more informed handle to this thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…