Recording vinyl to cd

mrbuk 18:51 29 Aug 04

I realise that this question has probably been asked and answered before, but can anyone tell me what hardware/software I need to record my old vinyl LP's onto my PC/cd?
I have a new Sony seperate turntable that I can use for this, but it does not have an in built amplifier, does it need one?
Thanks

Magik ®© 18:55 29 Aug 04

musicmatch jukebox is about the best software, and it is free, what do you have the deck plugged into at the moment?

mrbuk 19:02 29 Aug 04

I don't have it pluged into anything at the moment, that is why I wondering if i needed some particular hardware.

Magik ®© 19:07 29 Aug 04

i should have asked, what are you going to plug it into? mine is plugged into the amp, which in turn is plugged into the back of the PC.

or have i lost the plot? a deck on its own wont play records..

mrbuk 19:18 29 Aug 04

I think I'm being a bit Thick!!!!
I was playing about with this a couple of days ago, and I simply plugged the deck in to the reception socket of the sound card.
I actually got some sound out of it, although it was not very good.
I was under the impression that if I bought a capture card or something like that, and plugged the deck into it, I could capture and record my vinyl.
If I need an amp,I can move my hi-fi across to the PC and use the amp on that by running the record deck through it.
Hope you can understand what I am getting at.
Cheers

no-name 19:25 29 Aug 04

This click here might answer your question.

Magik ®© 19:57 29 Aug 04

the stylus has a output of a couple of milliamps, so you need something to bring the power up,so it will be best to use the hi-fi,decent bit of cable to connect them and you are away, i got a cable from maplins, looks like the cable they laid across the atlantic :-))

mrbuk 23:18 29 Aug 04

OK, Thanks guys.
I'll give it a try
Cheers

david4637 15:28 30 Aug 04

The cable must be as short as possible, otherwise you will get noise on your recordings. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…