Recording video

deejum 16:40 03 Jun 03

What is involved in equipping a PC with the ability to input from an analog camcorder and output a disc that could be played with a dvd vcr to a tv. Also what does R+ and R- mean that I on some media drive labels?

I'd appreciate advice.

sphinx 16:55 03 Jun 03

You will need some way of inporting the video - either a video-input on a graphics card or a dedicated capture card. I use a LEADTEK WIN2000XP, but there are plenty of other options - Pinnacle make some good ones.

You then need to convert the captured video (usually an AVI file) to MPEG and then to a DVD - I use TMPGENC to convert the AVI files and NERO to burn the DVDs.

+R and -R are simply 2 different types of recordable DVD - a bit like VHS and Betamax when video recorders first came out. Most DVD players will play back both types (check the manual first though), but most DVD Writers only support one format (Sony, NEC and a few others make writers that will use both - but they are more expensive)

The best place for advice, tutorials, reviews of capture cards and DVD writers and some excellent forums is:

click here

deejum 17:30 03 Jun 03

Thanks for the info. I'll be able to get myself a bit more informed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…