Recording TV to PC and then to DVD - any good?

as400man 18:27 27 Jun 04

I am thinking of buying a new PC and one of the new technologies I keep hearing about is recording TV to hard disk and then to DVD. What's the sound/picture quality like? Better/worse than VHS? Any other issues? In theory it looks like an ideal solution but I would be interested in your experience.

Thanks and regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 27 Jun 04

Provided you have a good aerial /cable input then reasonable quality.

Is there anything on the TV worth recording to DVD? :o)

Night Ryder 19:35 27 Jun 04

If this is any help to you, here is how part of my setup works. I have a fast PC with 1gig of memory and two large high speed hard drives. One drive is assigned to Capture and the other is for export. I capture images from a veriety of sources one of which is a video recorder. I capture via a DV converter to fire wire which produces best stability and picture quality.
In your case, provided you have a good TV signal you should get excellent quality. Better still if you can capture from your satelite box.
In summing up you will require a fast PC with pleny memory and plenty drive space. Use high speed hard drives. I persoaly use serial ATA drives for best efficiency.
All this comes at consideral price, however.

as400man 19:43 27 Jun 04

Fruit Bat /\0/That's a good point! But I do like to time shift and several of the recent set of seven Blues films by Martin Scorcese on BBC4 were well worth recording.

Night Ryder
Cheers. You've obviously had a go yourself and this is just what I wanted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017