Recording LP's on my computer

Pineman100 19:02 03 Jun 10

I'm trying to transfer my old LP records to my Windows 7 laptop, using a software package that I was given years ago (and which has gathered dust in a drawer ever since!). It's called Magix Audio Cleaning Lab.

I've installed it in XP compatibility mode, and it seems to run OK. But I simply cannot get it to recognise the incoming music track.

I've taken the phono output leads from the turntable into a pre-amplifier. Then, from the pre-amplifier, further phono leads go into an adaptor which converts them into a single stereo 3.5mm mini-jack. I've plugged this into the microphone socket of the laptop.

Audio Cleaning Lab offers to record from one of three input sources:

* Integrated microphone array (IDT High Definition)
* Stereo Mix (IDT High Definition)
* External Mic (IDT High Definition)

I've tried all three, but none of them seems to allow ACL to recognise the incoming track.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, please?

rawprawn 19:26 03 Jun 10

Can't say what is wrong as I have never heard of that program, but I have used Audacity very successfully
click here

Technotiger 19:42 03 Jun 10

I have Magix ACL latest version - it is grreat. However, I doubt whether a Laptop mic socket would be powerful enough to do what you are trying. Mine is on my desktop PC with a very good Sound Card, which has all the necessary connections - HiFi Unit to separate Audio Mixer to PC Sound Card.

Technotiger 19:43 03 Jun 10

PS - I agree with rawprawn, Audacity might be better in your case.

Pineman100 09:32 04 Jun 10

TT, I suspect you may be right about the laptop. Fortunately my old XP desktop computer is still sitting nearby. I have successfully used ACL on that some years ago, so I guess the quickest solution is going to be to fire up the old beast again - provided I can remember how to make all the sound card connections!

rawprawn - if ACL doesn't do the job on the old desktop, then I'll give Audacity a try. In fact, I might experiment with it a bit anyway, to see how it compares with ACL.

Many thanks again to you both for your thoughts and ideas.

Technotiger 10:39 04 Jun 10

I am sure you will soon sort out your connections - Line-out on Granny-phone to Line-in on Soundcard :-))

Pineman100 12:36 04 Jun 10

Just to let you know that I chucked some coal into the old XP desktop, and made all the appropriate connections.

It worked fine!

I think you must have been quite right about the limitations of my laptop sound card.

May thanks again to you and rawprawn.

PS: I haven't tried Audacity yet, because I've got an urgent project to get on with, but I'll definitely do so in due course.

Technotiger 13:25 04 Jun 10

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…