Recording live music on PC

ricvic 12:48 16 Dec 04

I have to record organ music for a number of Christmas services in church. I shall be using a good quality electronic organ as the sound source.

In the past I have plugged into the standard stereo out sockets on the organ and recorded to cassette tape. This time I want to try recording from the same sockets to PC.
The questions:
I assume that taking a line from the sockets into a PC will not damage the PC (voltage etc). Please correct me if I'm wrong - I would not want to find out the hard way!
I can either record to a toshiba laptop (2.4, 512mb) with built in sound, or to a PC (1.8, 512mb) with sound card. Both running XP home. Plenty of disc space on either. Which will be better for the job (leaving aside portability)?
Finally, I know the windows media player is not right for the job. What do you recommend?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.
R

Technotiger 16:58 16 Dec 04

Hi, pc with soundcard would be much better than laptop with onboard sound. I have the Audigy 2 soundcard and this has recorder (to hdd) within the software. I would advise checking your card and software to see if you have similar.

Merry Christmas.

pj123 17:17 16 Dec 04

Well my preference is for LP Recorder and LP Ripper which I use all the time. Get them from click here

But if you want a free recorder try JetAudio free from click here

ricvic 17:58 16 Dec 04

THank you for these responses. Helpful, as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…