Recording BIOS data

BrianW 17:49 29 Jan 03

As I am thinking of updating my BIOS I started to record the BIOS data as a fallback in case it was needed. Started using pen & paper then thought, why not use the technology. I now have a complete set of records compliments of my digital camera. Probably many others are already using this method or have other "lazy" ways of doing this job. However, I offer it as an idea that somebody may find helpful. Maybe this could be a thread to collect other ideas do this job?

Pesala 14:14 30 Jan 03

Just press the Print Screen Key for Each Page

Noels 14:28 30 Jan 03

BrianW as Pesala says print screen for each page. However when I last did this sometime ago I think I had to experiment and had to try Ctrl+ Print Screen or Shift+Print Screen before it worked. It may depend on your OS or keyboard I,m not sure

Noels

stlucia 14:35 30 Jan 03

In Windows I've always had to use Ctrl or Alt Print Scrn (Print Scrn by itself used to work in DOS), but all that does is copy the image. I then have to paste it into a Word (or anything else that can handle it) document before I can print it.

€dstow 15:25 30 Jan 03

Am I missing something here?

My printers require an operating system before they will function. If you are in BIOS then no O/S is loaded and the printer cannot operate. Or have I got it wrong?

€d

Switcher 15:40 30 Jan 03

I have used print screen for a number of years to do this I still for some reason have my old 386 bios data.

It only works when my printer is connected via parallel port.

€dstow 15:43 30 Jan 03

Ahhh!

Most of my machines don't have a parallel port.

I'm still surprised that you can do it though.

Thanks

€d

BrianW 16:01 30 Jan 03

I'm in the same state as Edstow, can't drive my printers from within BIOS, hence my alternative approach.

BurrWalnut 16:51 30 Jan 03

BrianW

Next time you have the case off, why not go a step further and using macro (close-up) take pictures of all your cards and connectors, e.g. card numbers, part numbers and the like.

I have, sad aren't I?

BrianW 16:59 30 Jan 03

Why not? Sounds good to me. If you are really fond of your machine you could blow the pics up and stick them on the wall - on second thoughts, maybe a touch geeky ;>{}. I do have copies photos of all my kit for insurance purposes, so on a more serious note, it could be useful for that?

IZZY 20:36 30 Jan 03

BrianW...

I notice you've marked your query as Resolved but if you're still interested, there is a small programme which claims to do exactly what you want which you can download from here,

http:\\geocities.com/mbockelkamp

You'll find it under 'My Software (DOS) and it's just a 24k download

I haven't used it myself so I can't vouch for it but it had a writeup in the Feb issue of PCAdvisor with a step-by-step guide on how to us it.

Have a look and if you need any further help or info. on the step-by-step, I'd be quite happy to copy that out and post it here.

This is what it claims :
Bios 1.35.1 (24 kB) (2)

- Saving and restoring the BIOS settings
- Validating actual settings to saved setttings
- Deleting the BIOS settings (there are some strange cases...)
- Displaying information about the BIOS, BBIOS Extensions and BIOS beepcodes
- Finding BIOS passwords for Award, Ami, PPhoenix and AST BIOS
- Finding BIOS universal passwords for Awaard BIOS
- Dumping the whole BIOS segment to disk
- Switching the 1st and 2nd level caches on/off
- Turning the PC into Suspend or Stand-By mode (requires APM 1.1+)
- Turning off the PC (requires APM 1.2+)
- Rebooting the PC (cold/warm/int19)
- Freeware

Regards,

IZZY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017