Recording Audio from DV Cam with DV/Firewire cable

Llwydyn 21:59 03 Dec 07

Having recorded my daughter's annual Xmas concert at school with a DV Camcorder, I would like to create a CD of the audio. Anyone know of (possibly free)software for capturing audio only via the DV/Firewire cable and burning it to CD?
OS is Vista Home Premium.

Technotiger 22:07 03 Dec 07

A great free program is click here

Llwydyn 22:17 03 Dec 07

Thanks Technotiger - not sure if it will record audio via the DV/Firewire cable.

Technotiger 22:20 03 Dec 07

If the audio plays on the PC I don't see any reason for it not being recordable, even though I have not used Audacity, I can record audio using the facilities on my Audigy2 Sound card.

Llwydyn 22:51 03 Dec 07

On my old Windows ME computer I was able to use Creative Recorder to record 'what u hear'. Not sure how I can record audio only on this computer from a source via the DV/Firewire cable.
Having searched online, it seems that most software records audio via inputs on the soundcard.

Technotiger 23:00 03 Dec 07

My Creative Audigy2 card includes a Firewire port, so I am guessing that I could record from a camcorder - though I have never tried to record just the audio, I am sure it would be possible.

Technotiger 23:07 03 Dec 07

My card - click here

Llwydyn 23:15 03 Dec 07

The only software I have been able to find online for capturing audio from dv/firewire is by River Past. There may well be others.
My other route could be to connect my DV Camcorder to my DVD recorder via the DV/Firewire cable to create an audio CD. However, this method would be more difficult to edit unwanted audio.
I think that the soundcard on my computer is the Creative Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme Audio. There does not appear to be any recording software on my computer with this card.

100andthirty 09:40 04 Dec 07

think of this as three tasks: 1 getting the sound from the DV camcorder to a medium the computer can read; 2 editing it, and 3 doing something with it.

Assuming you have a socket on the camcorder that would allow you to connect a 3-phono lead (yellow white and red plugs) you could use a twin phono socket to 3.5mm jack cable and plug that into your sound card line input. Then you could record in audacity- and edit in audacity. otherwise you could do as you suggested - record the CD in you DVD recorder and then rip the CD to your hard drive; then edit in audacity

JanetO 09:46 04 Dec 07

Another way round it is to delete the video part and then you can save and edit just the audio. I think you can do this with TMPGEnc click here

Technotiger 09:52 04 Dec 07

This is an extract from information about your particular sound card ...

"Whether you record in your bedroom or have a dedicated studio, X-Fi should be at the heart of your set-up! With pristine quality plus one-of-a-kind audio processing features, it delivers the perfect creation experience for both 16-bit and 24-bit recording and playback!"

So it would appear that you do have recording capabilities - being a Creative Soundblaster type of card I would have been very surprised if Recording was not part of its creative abilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…