Recording from 78rpm

1933 15:37 21 Dec 09

Some time ago I am sure I came across a program that allowed playing 78 records at 45/33 and then slowing down the recorded files to get back to 78. Can anyone help with a suggestion about any program that will do this? Many thanks and a Very Happy Xmas to all. Dave

User-1229748 16:20 21 Dec 09

i know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing :o( but if free it may have been audacity click here

Pineman100 17:05 21 Dec 09
  Sea Urchin 17:06 21 Dec 09

This article may help - about halfway down the page it lists the various software used:

click here

eedcam 19:02 21 Dec 09

Might I ask the purpose of doing this

Condom 21:32 21 Dec 09

This is quite a popular way of digitising old 78's when your turntable only has 33 & 45 speeds or so I am told.

Condom 21:33 21 Dec 09

I should have added that audacity gives you instructions on how to do this.

eedcam 22:15 21 Dec 09

Thanks condom Perish the thought

Batch 09:45 22 Dec 09

Whilst from a speed point of view one might be able to achieve the desired effect, if one is using a deck that plays at 45 / 33, then I imagine that one is likely to be using a tone arm / headshell / needle that is for 45s / 33s.

Such a set-up (specifically the needle) is bad for two reasons. Firstly it probably won't pick up the sound correctly (and the tracking weight and lateral forces for 78s will almost certainly be different). Secondly and more importantly, it could seriously damage the 78s. As I recall, the needles for 78s are quite thick and not anywhere near as pointed as those for 45s / 33s.

I know this doesn't help, but thought you might like to know before you do some permanent damagle to what might be a valuable collection.

Of course, if you have an appropiate headshell / needle, then it shouldn't be a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…