recorder for free sat.

logrin 18:08 07 Jun 08

I have a forest in the way of my terrestial aerial and my TV picture is lost all summer
I have now got free sat set up on my TV, works well and though Dave, Virgin and the History programs aren't on it there are a lot of new odd programs extra to the original free view on it.
How can I record programmes from it, do I need another sat nav box connected to my old recorder?
Can I split the lead from the dish into two or will I also need another new line.
I have been informed that Humax are going to make a sat box with two tuners and a hard disc drive, is this true, when will it be available logrin

gengiscant 07:54 08 Jun 08
  dms_05 08:57 08 Jun 08

You can't split the downfeed on a satellite system in the way you can on a normal terrestrial antenna. If you want multiple satellite receivers you have to have an LNB with multiple outputs - Sky+ has an LNB with 4 outputs for example.

To record your Freesat just treat it as any other input. Connect a SCART from the freesat box to the SCART on the recorder.

Sky+ is a hard disk recorder with two tuners and the ability to record about 80 hours of TV. It costs about £99 for a new Sky customer. Freesat PVR's will not have any subsidy, unlike the Sky+ system, and are likely to cost 3 or 4x this price.

If you want HD then the Sky HD box with two tuners and hard disk costs £199 and it's likely the Freesat HD PVR will cost at least 2x this price.

Also remember if you take out the basic Sky subscription of £16/month you then get free Broadband and free Phone Calls. It's probable that you are paying more than that for your existing broadband and phone calls so you can argue the additional Sky TV is free and you get highly subsidised proven equipment.

Not an easy decision if you take all the costs into account.

laurie53 09:07 08 Jun 08

"Also remember if you take out the basic Sky subscription of £16/month you then get free Broadband and free Phone Calls."

Only if you live in a Sky favoured area.

I have a full Sky+ multiroom subscription, but can only get Sky Broadband at a higher cost and lower speed than several other providers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…