Record to Video Tape

HighTower 14:00 01 Sep 03

A friend of mine is a wedding photographer and he wishes to be able to offer a preview of his images on video cassette. He normally uses CD's, VCD's or DVD's but one of his customers has not got a computer or DVD player. All of these options are a cheaper alternative than printing out a preview album of all the images taken that day.

One of his ideas is to create a powerpoint presentation on the pc, then use the TV Out (s-video) on the pc to record direct to a VHS video recorder via scart.

Has anyone done this before? If so how did it go?

stlucia 14:45 01 Sep 03

I've done a similar thing -- created a slideshow using Sonic MyDVD, burned it onto a DVD, and then copied the DVD onto VHS to send to a relative who doesn't have a DVD player or PC. The transfer from DVD to VHS was on my domestic equipment.

Results are as good as one could expect from VHS but, so long as the customers realise that they are preview quality only, should be no problem.

HighTower 14:53 01 Sep 03

Thanks a lot, just to check I understand you properly, did you copy from your stand-alone DVD player to VHS?

I would imagine that the basic principle is the same.

Thanks again.

stlucia 10:31 02 Sep 03

Yes, DVD was burned on my PC, and the disc was then put into my domestic stand-alone unit for copying to VHS.

I have a Panasonic 2-in-one VHS and DVD player, but the principle must be the same using separate domestic VHS and DVD players.

HighTower 10:55 02 Sep 03

Thanks a lot, will give it a go.

carlos 12:01 02 Sep 03

Where I didn't want to do any editing, I transferred to VHS directly from Digicam. I could then watch and discuss the "raw" VHS tape to agree on edits.

stlucia 15:40 02 Sep 03

That's a good point carlos. Why bother with the PC? You can probably connect the camera direct to the VHS recorder, the same way as you would connect it to the TV to view the pictures (I've assumed all along that we're talking about a stills camera, not a movie), and scroll through from one picture to the next while recording them onto tape.

HighTower 17:06 02 Sep 03

Genius! I'll try that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…