Record Video from Analogue to Digital Camcorder

I have an old analogue camcorder and a new digital one. The analogue has composite output (yellow and black), the digital camcorder has USB, firewire, composite, edit.

There was an article in March 2001 PC Advisor suggesting that I could just connect them together and transfer my analogue video to digital (then I can get in onto my PC and edit it without buying any more expensive hardware).

I connected the two together using a cable that came with my digital camcorder, connecting yellow composite to yellow and white to black on the analogue, the other end of the cable went into the AV socket on the digital camcorder. I tried all sorts of combinations, but I couldn't seem to record anything.

Do I need a cable that is composite to firewire? I know my camcorder can cope with firewire input.

rosblot 15:26 21 Feb 03

Try checking your analogue output to a TV.

Then try checkng your digital input from the TV.

When you've proved both work separately connect them together.

If this doesn't work scrap the idea, your problem could be related to different resolutions or different transmission speeds.

Jonathan314159 15:57 21 Feb 03

rosblot's solution worked for me. It's a little while ago now, and my memories a little dim, but for some reason I had to buy a special scart socket which had an in/out switch on it and phono connections to get all the links to work properly

MichelleC 16:00 21 Feb 03

If your new dv camcord is Sony u can use the dv 'passthrough' for analogue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…