Record digital TV?

Pineman100 18:26 17 Oct 05

I'm thinking of buying a new PC with Windows Media Center as the OS. I will particularly want to use it to record programs from Sky, and then play them back through my TV or burn them on to DVDs.
Can anyone please tell me whether I can do all of this through Windows Media Center? Also, can you tell me how much hard drive space a typical 2 hour feature film will require? This will help me to decide on the size of HDD that I'll need.
Thanks a lot.

Pineman100 19:36 18 Oct 05

Just bringing myself to the top, hoping for replies.

Stuartli 20:52 18 Oct 05
  Pineman100 11:35 19 Oct 05

Thanks very much, Stuartli. I'll read up on those pages.
Do you have any experience of Windows MCE yourself? If so, I'd welcome any comments.

Stuartli 16:24 19 Oct 05

No, I use a TwinHan Freeview DTV-ter D+A (Digital plus Analogue) PCI TV card which has a PVR facility.

I don't use it as I have a superb Mitsubishi Nicam Stereo VCR that can also be used to record up to 18 hours of hi-fi quality sound from TV, radio or hi-fit setup.

Stuartli 16:26 19 Oct 05

The TwinHan card provides the equivalent of MCE as it can be used for Freeview, movies, photos, games consoles and music reproduction and can do recordings of such activities.

Cost? Just over £50 from click here

Pineman100 18:11 19 Oct 05

Thanks for the additional stuff, Stuartli. Regretably a VCR isn't any good for me, as I want to record from Sky. I understand this isn't possible on a VCR.
Is the interface easy to use with your TwinHan card?
By the way, what's a PVR facility? As you can tell, I'm pretty low down on the techy knowledge scale!

Stuartli 18:26 19 Oct 05

A PVR facility with a PCI TV card's software allows you to make recordings of TV programmes on your hard drive or pause them to watch later (similar to a Sky+ box).

As I stated, I don't use the facility as I have a state of the art VCR.

Pineman100 11:47 20 Oct 05

Many thanks for all your help and advice. I'll chew it over before I decide what to buy.

Stuartli 15:32 20 Oct 05

The TwinHan uses Cyberlink's PowerCinema software and its own BDA drivers.

TwinHan has just brought out its own software (Version 2.61) and new BDA drivers (V1.0.5.0 WHQL) but, unfortunately, both crash my system when trying to install them. The software is a 50MB plus download as well...:-)

I'm sticking with PowerCinema for the moment although I have also used Showshifter successfully.

PowerCinema is easy enough to use although a bit slow when switching TV or radio channels.

TwinHan's own software, which I used to use with the basic Freeview DTB-ter card before changing it, was fine. The D+A card has the facility to hook up to games consoles, VCRs etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…