Record BBC Radio to HD. How ?

rawprawn 09:48 25 Aug 03

I want to record a weekly program fromm BBC Radio 2 to my hard disk, can this be done?. I am on Win XP Home & I have MP 9 & Real Player.

jazzypop 09:59 25 Aug 03

Jet Audio can record streaming content that is in RealPlayer format (which is what the BBC uses).

It is available from click here

Note that you will probably be breaking a whole range of terms and conditions by recording BBC material.

-pops- 11:06 25 Aug 03

I asked the BBC about recording of their programs some time ago when Radio 7 began.

They replied that they are quite happy about anyone doing this subject to the usual conditions of private use only, not for commercial distribution, not for public performance, you know, the normal copyright restrictions.

For information, I use a Creative Extigy and on that there is Creative Recorder which will record from all sorts of sources including "What u Hear". This records anything that is passing through the sound card. Other Creative audio devices have this, I would think.

rawprawn 11:36 25 Aug 03

jazzypop, thanks I am downloading jet audio now but it's going to be a long job on my modem connection. Pops, thanks for the info I only want to save a program that features old swing bands on sunday night for myself, so from what you say it should be OK. I have CD creator 5, but I can't see a way to rcord dierct to my HD from a radio transmission

jazzypop 20:03 25 Aug 03

In reply to your email...

What has worked for me in the past is to start the BBC player, open JetAudio, and click recorder.

I set the sound source to my sound card (SB Audigy), and tick "what you hear" as the sound input.

I leave the default filename, which will automatically name each recording as 'Recorded Audio' with an automatic date and time stamp.

I usually set the destination to the default My Music folder - if I want anything else, I use the Browse button to select a folder.

I leave the encoder as WAV if I am going to burn it to CD later.

Depending on the length of the recording, and whether I will stay at the PC or not, I generally choose to enable the recorder and choose a suitable length of time.

I hope this helps.

rawprawn 20:23 25 Aug 03

Many thanks for your response, I think that will be very helpful. It may be 2 or three days before I can give it a real try, but I'm sure I will be able to record what I want after your help. I will post again to let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Dennis

rawprawn 20:57 25 Aug 03

I thought I would just give it a quick try & I have recorded about 5 minutes, I have the file in My Music folder, but there was no sound when I played it. It is a real media file & it is called WAV Audio. I tried to copy it to a cd to see if it made any difference, but still no sound. I cheated because I used drag & drop to put it on to a RW CD ( Just to see if it worked) although I didn't think that would make any difference. I'm obviously missing something, any ideas what I am doing wrong.

jazzypop 21:54 25 Aug 03

Not really.

Double-check for any muted inputs on your sound card (double-click the speaker icon by the clock) and volume settings.

Double-check which source you have selected.

rawprawn 15:00 26 Aug 03

I have checked for anything muted, but it's all OK. I think I must have a setting wrong, I have had another couple of goes this lunchtime with the same result. Everything seems OK but no sound, I have looked at source again I have SB Live wave Device at the top & Wave ticked in the list below. Encoder is set to Real Media & in the config I have ticked 56 modem. Where it says recording Volume at the bottom Right there are two what look like scales which should give a visual, but nothing happens although there are two green dots next to them. Sorry to be still lost.

MuDelta 18:10 06 Aug 04

I use GoldWave to record from BBC radio. The recorder has a free trial but if you do any sound manipulation it is well worth the $55 (Canadian) which a licence costs click here

Here is an abbreviated description of how to record. The details are quite straight forward.

1. Open GoldWave and set it to record.
In Control Properties, Volume select Stereo Mix and set the Volume level to say, 50% (trial and error when radio is playing).

2. Open RealOne Player, select the required programme.

3. Start the GoldWave recorder.

4. Start the selected programme in RealOne Player.

5. When the recording is complete, stop RealOne Player and GoldWave.

6. In GoldWave, edit out the silence (or sounds) before and after the required programme.

7. Save the recording andcopy to disk as required.

leo49 18:17 06 Aug 04

Archeology?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…