Reconnecting a harddrive thats already partitioned

Wondering if anyone can help me with a mini disaster!

My home comoputer has 2 hard-drives, one with Windows XP (C) and another for storage (Partitioned - F-J). A friend gave me a third Hard Drive with some data he wanted keeping. I stupidly disconnected my C Drive by mistake and connected to this third drive and started the PC up. It then started to boot up Windows 98 (which was on this third disk).

Realising my mistake, I stopped what it was doing and reconnected my own 2nd drive and tried to start it up again. On start up, it stopped just short of booting into Windows XP with the message 'Unable to start - please insert System disk'. I then disconnected the 2nd drive again and just booted up with my C Drive and Windows XP started perfectly and my C Drive is fine.

I then changed the Jumper settings on my 2nd drive and restarted. Again, all loaded perfectly, except that it thinks my second drive is new and does not recognise any partitioning. I am very worried that I have now lost 50GB of info on this second disk.

All that I can think is that the jumper setting on my friend's hard drive is the sdame as my 2nd drive and the pc now thinks it should be loading Windows 98 from there. I could of course be totally wrong.

Please, Please, Please can anyone help save me from my own stupidity?

Regards

Kitz E Kat 09:08 29 Jul 03

Don't Panic!!!
You will sort this out, i can't see how by doing what you did , that you done any 'damage' to your second drive. You say that you changed the jumper settings ,why? They had to be set as slave before you did anything, what are they set to now? Go back and check that the jumpers are set for slave on your second drive, and that the cable is inserted correctly . Like i say by doing what you done there should be no problem, its just a 'glitchy' thing.
Hope this helps
Yours
Kitz

Thanks for the response. When you say are the jumper settings set for slave, my limited knowledge of IT goes out the window!! I have reset the jumper to exactly the position it was in originally, which is vertical and covers the second set of pins from the left.

Trouble is, when I start the machine with the drive connected like that, the PC won't boot ans says it needs the system disk. I am just worried that if I put a system disk in, it will wipe everything that I have.......

As you says, its probably something glitchy, but I just have no idea what!!!

Thanks again!

Kitz E Kat 10:18 29 Jul 03

OK, your doin something wrong, not a big deal!!
Its very unlikely you have lost anything, dont panic!!!!
Go back and , check everything!!! Then DOUBLE check EVERYTHING!!!
Your C: drive should be set to master( its on a label on the HD, you can allways pay a visit to the vendors web site if unsure, then make sure its connected to the END of the ribbon cable.)
Fire your computer up, you should have XP and one C: drive. OK
Now, take your second drive make sure its set as slave, again check vendor web site if in doubt, attach it to the 'middle' connector on the ribbon cable, also make sure you attach the cable correctly,
you can check your BIOS and see if it see's the second drive.
On booting you should see "press the DEL key to enter system setup" or something like that,on some computers its the F2 key.

I know its only a small thing you could NOT have done anything major by what you said.

You WILL sort this and learn a load from it, keep posting till you sort it, good luck

Kitz E

scooby43 11:12 29 Jul 03

hi which jumper setting have you changed it to because you should have your first one set to master and your second one set to slave?

have you set any restore points at all that you have tried to go back to these are just suggestions.

cheers ill get back to you just about to go out

scooby43 11:14 29 Jul 03

oops sorry Kitz E Kat already mentioned that my mistake :(

Thanks for all your help on this, I'll go back and try it tonight and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Well there you go. It was just me being stupid after all! As was suggested, I went home and looked at the label on the 2nd HDD and found that the jumpers weren't set to slave. Once I changer this, I rfecovered the data and all is now working as normal!!

Thanks v much to Kitz E Kat and Scooby43 for all your help in this.

Lifesavers!!

Cheers

Kitz E Kat 08:44 30 Jul 03

I do love a story with a happy ending.
Its the little things that trip you up.....
good look
Kitz

jimv7 09:18 30 Jul 03

Just a thought,

next time leave you drives alone and disconnect your cd drive, use the cdrom cable from the secondary channel to connect you friends drive, you don't even have to change the jumpers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…