Recommended external back up for Dell PC

Audisportt 15:23 14 May 07

Hello chaps

We have quite a bit of info sitting on our hard drive (mainly photos) and we need to make sure it's safe and secure.

Rather than save all these about 1000 photos (and whatever else is in My Documents) would it make sense to just buy an external hard drive and if so what type and size would you recommend, and target price.

I have a 160gb hard drive but think we have only used about 20gb so far (and thats guessing..!).

Also best place to buy the recommended item would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy C

imacd 15:30 14 May 07

Is there an Aldi near you? I purchased a 500GB external drive that connects by USB 2 or SATA and it came with all the necessary cables including the SATA kit - all for £89.99
i can't fault it!

shellship 16:51 14 May 07

I bought my external USB2 Western Digital 120Gb from PC World and use it for all my back ups. Works fine.

Alan H E 19:34 14 May 07

Also have a look at Amazon - my Western Digital 250gb was cheaper than elsewhere.

Sparkly 19:43 14 May 07

Hi Audisportt this is a good deal picked one up at the weekend a good price for the amount of storeage. click here=

Totally-braindead 20:19 14 May 07

An external hard drive is a good backup but I also backup onto CD as well and keep 2 copies and check them both every few months. And if one copy failed I would immediatly make another copy.
External hard drives can fail the same as internal ones and I prefer the belt and braces option when you are talking about irreplaceable family photos.
Some might feel this is a bit OTT but I don't want to risk losing the photos and it doesn't take long to do and the disks are cheap.
You could use a DVD instead if you have a DVD writer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…