Recommendations, please - PC security needs update

2420 16:39 04 Feb 04

Hi, hope you can help. My rather elderly Norton Antivirus is feeling the strain these days and I'd like to upgrade or replace it completely, but rather than buy the latest Norton "because that's what everyone has" I thought I'd get some advice.

I don't go online that much (a couple of hours a day on average) so don't have broadband. Firewall and virus protection seems like overkill, but then again....

I'd be grateful for any recommendations. Bear in mind I'm a computer dunce ;)

TommyRed 16:56 04 Feb 04

The majority of people on here seem to favour AVG which is free click here HTH TR

click here is zone alarm free trial easy to use & understand

windows update switch on your firewall is usually available & does it auto for you if you wish this is the 1st line of defence

curlylad 17:15 04 Feb 04

I echo TommyRed , I don't think there is a much better free Antivirus than AVG free edition .

Faser 17:26 04 Feb 04

Provided you still subscribe to Norton for updates you should be okay.

I have recently purchased Norton Systemworks & Anti-virus as a bundle for much less than the seperate price. This I was to replace a much older version. It is superb piece of kit better than any other I have tried, and is very easy to set up.

A friend of mine uses his PC mainly for gaming only goes online to email his dad in France and to check the weather for fishing trips, usage about 40 min. a month on dial-up. Using out of date anti-virus sofrware.

Guess what? He had acquired 3 worms, 1 trojan and viruses that made his pc almost unusable. I was able to remove them, however it took nearly an hour to do and he does not know how much personal info was broadcast from his pc.

Indigo 1 17:28 04 Feb 04

Can't recommend it highly enough !

Had problems with Norton, McCaffee, Symantec, PC-Cillin and Sophos to name but a few but not had any problems with AVG free edition !

Great thing is, it automatically updates itself and can be set to do it as often as you like.

It has protected my PC flawlessly for over 18 months now and not let a single bug in.

bananaslik 17:38 04 Feb 04

hi 2420 i use zonealarm firewaall(it's been xcellent)anti-virus try avast it's free & quite good.there r regular updates & it's not hard to configure

Proxy Worm 17:40 04 Feb 04

I have AVG and Zonealarm- HIGHLY recommend!

Bagsey 17:44 04 Feb 04

Go for AVG, which has kept me safe for about 6 years, or any other free AV prog but remember only one AV prog per computer. It is a case of two into one dont go.

wotbus@ 17:47 04 Feb 04

I have been using McAfee Firewall Plus together with their VirusScan (came bundled with my first PC nearly 3yrs ago so saw no reason to change), and nothing yet. Regular updates and warnings etc, but never a problem. Unable to recommend their SpamKiller though; iffy to set up and run and barely improves on MailWasher which is free!
Like all the other advice though, do get protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…