Recommend a Wireless router

IanR_ 14:39 03 Apr 06

Hi a mate has just bought a new laptop & requires something to connect it to the internet.Its got 'Built in Wireless LAN 802.11g 54Mbps' if that helps people

Cheers

Ian

mgmcc 16:33 03 Apr 06

Does he/she already have broadband internet access and, if so, is it ADSL via the phone line or Cable from NTL or Telewest?

If there is already a broadband service available, then basically a wireless router is required but, for ADSL, this should be a combined "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem". For Cable, a stand-alone Router is used, often described as a wireless "Cable/DSL Router" (don't confuse the reference to DSL with routers that have the ADSL Modem built-in).

IanR_ 17:41 03 Apr 06

Hi, they have just signed up for 'Tesco' 512 Broadband.So a "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem" or "Wireless Router" would do.Any one in particular

Cheers

Ian

wobblymike 19:23 03 Apr 06

i use a d link 604+ with no probs

mgmcc 19:25 03 Apr 06

<<< So a "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem" or "Wireless Router" would do. >>>

For Tesco broadband, which is ADSL, they must get a *combined* Wireless Router & ADSL Modem. Products from any of the mainstream suppliers should be fine - Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc. The Netgear DG834G tends to be a popular choice.

ade.h 20:31 03 Apr 06

You forgot 3Com - seems to be very good kit.

IanR_ 08:44 27 Apr 06

Just adding to this question i asked earlier,if my mate wants to have two computers running off 1 router both wireless (one is a laptop with it built in) does he need anything extra to link the other P.C to it?? sorry to sound so vauge but i dont have a wireless network & dont know the 1st thing about them

Cheers

Ian

Aargh 09:46 27 Apr 06

I use the Belkin F5D7632-4 - it lets you connect 4 pc's or devices by ethernet cable plus as many as you like by wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…