Recommend a Printer

OTT_Buzzard 12:31 01 May 09

Hi folks,
After many years of loyal service, my printer (HP PSC 2115) has decided that enough is enough and it's time to retire. Unfortunately this has left me with 5 very expensive printer cartridges that are unused (HP 56, HP 57 & HP 58).

So, two questions:

1. Are new budget all-in-one printers significantly better than the printer that has just died? By budget, I mean in the £50 range. If so, does anyone have a recommendation?

2. Is it better for me to spend much more on another HP printer that can take my existing cartridges? The new stuff from HP doesn't take the same cartridges so it will likely end up being a 'legacy' model similar to what has just died.

Thanks for any input :)

julius44 12:35 01 May 09

hello there, my good friend, just brought this wireless printer the other day from Argos, and its less then half price for now. we were reading the reviews online from people that had purchased from argos and it has fab reviews, he picked it up from argos on monday and he said its superb
click here|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|12108629/c_2/2|cat_12108629|Printers+and+fax+machines|12108750.htm

julius44 12:39 01 May 09

hi there the link does not seem to be working ok..the argos product number is 6704104. its the lezmark wirelss printer, scanner, and photocopier x4650, reduced from £127.19 to £57.19, that is £70 off!!!!

OTT_Buzzard 12:40 01 May 09

It's ok, i found it. Thanks for that, it looks good. I'll bookmark it for reference :)

provider 2 12:47 01 May 09

Canon Pixma MP 540 click here (Amazon)

cocteau48 13:02 01 May 09

julius44
Have you checked out the replacement cartridge costs?

IMHO Lexmark cartridge costs will bankrupt you.
I have in the past bought a brand new Lexmark all-in-one from Tesco only because it was £2.00 cheaper than the cost of two new cartridges for the Lexmark I already had.
It is now only used as a scanner and has been replaced with an Epson and a Continuous Ink Supply System.
I would never consider a Lexmark ever again.... at any price!

julius44 13:25 01 May 09

he can get cheap ink catrtidges on ebay, he'll be fine.

julius44 13:25 01 May 09

he can get cheap ink catrtidges on ebay, he'll be fine.

OTT_Buzzard 13:28 01 May 09

So is the general consensus that a new £60 - £70 printer is better than a legacy £150 printer?

It's the ink cost that will sway the final decision - although I've got probably £100 of new ink for the old HP, do you think its better to write it off and go for a new printer and restock with new ink?

Migwell 00:55 18 Sep 09

Why not flog the ink on ebay and then you can choose which printer you like from the money you get back from the sale?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…