Recommend a printer?

johnllew 17:53 15 Nov 05

My Epson Stylus Color 400 is playing up after 8 hard years and I need to replce it.

I need an cheap inkjet that's of reasonable performance and not too noisy but the main priority is one which takes compatible cartridges because I use a lot of ink. The Canon Pixmas seem to get good reports but I understand the new ones: IP1600/2200 etc can't take compatibles. The Epson C46 takes compatibles but the printing isn't so hot apparently.

Any advice? I'd be very grateful.

pj123 18:13 15 Nov 05

Epson R200. But we will all recommend the printer we are using. I have the Epson R200 and no problems with it. click here

I get my compatible ink cartridges from Choice Stationery. click here

The Epson R200 and R300 also print direct to CD/DVD.

alanstan 18:16 15 Nov 05

I have a Epson R300 and cannot fault it, I can get compatible cartridges(6) for £6 a set, it does everything I ask of it,

It may be a little more expensive than you wanted to pay but the performance will be worth it,

If you go to your local PC fair you can pick up a brand new one for about £80 or if you do not want aprinter with a built in card reader go for the R200 which gives the same performance but a tad cheaper.........

johnllew 00:31 20 Nov 05

Thanks folks - I've gone for an R200.

alanstan - where do you get your cartridges? £6 a set sounds attractive!

wednesday 13 09:47 20 Nov 05

The Epson C46 isn't actually that bad, but it might not be able to do tonnes of printing

Bagsey 13:06 20 Nov 05

The epson R 220 from pcworld. £60 if you order on line with free delivery. You can get the same price and pick it up from the store if you want to by checking the collect from store tag on their web page. Internet ordering will save you abot £10. They will try to sell you a USB cable cost £14. on top, but I refused it at the till and got one next door in Maplins for £4.99.
R220 compat carts for £0.99 each from click here .The same carts as for the R300 That beats the PcWorld price of £12.00 each.

JLL 22:21 29 Nov 05

Thanks again guys. I actually went for the R220 in the end, after cancelling the R200 - got it for £56 net from Staples on a 20% discount day. USB cable from Ebuyer for £1.50 and have just ordered several sets of cartridges from 7dayshop - got 1% cashback there from click here

Very pleased with the printer and provided there are no problems with the compatibles, I'll be delighted.

adbox 15:21 10 Dec 08

This is a resources might help you decide.
<a href="click here">PCGuide Discussion</a>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…