Recommend HDD cloning software?

Gary Wood 18:01 18 Jul 08

I am going to be upgrading a computer to have a bigger hard drive. Can anyone recommend any software (free if possible!) that will allow me to clone the old drive (which has Windows installed on it) onto the new one, and thus avoid having to reinstall everything?

Thanks,

Gary

Pamy 18:05 18 Jul 08

make of new HDD please

Gary Wood 18:14 18 Jul 08

Pamy,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet purchased the new drive. I'm looking at the possiblity. The problem is that the existing drive has some software on it which we no longer have the installation disks for, which is why I really don't want to have to do a fresh installation.

Gary

The Kestrel 18:16 18 Jul 08

If you buy a Maxtor/Seagate hard drive, the company provide free software to enable you to clone your existing HD onto the new one.

Pamy 18:21 18 Jul 08

when you but new drive go to makers site and download software as The Kestrel says .All drive makers have this software

gazzaho 18:51 18 Jul 08

Download the trial version of Acronis True Image and clone your drive with it, it's up to you whether you buy it or not after that, I would recommend buying it as it allows you to continue to backup your drive as you add programs and personal files.

Pamy 18:53 18 Jul 08

Maxtor/Seagate is the same and free if you buy disc

MAT ALAN 18:55 18 Jul 08

Why not just install the new HDD as a slave, leave your existing HDD for O/S and odd bits, use new HDD for BACKUP, progs and stuff...

Pineman100 18:59 18 Jul 08

You might want to consider buying Acronis True Image. Superb drive imaging software that will do what you want. The advantage is that you will then have the software for evermore.

You could then put your old HDD into an external USB caddy and use it for your backups.

click here

click here

Pineman100 19:00 18 Jul 08

...I was typing while you were posting!

Gary Wood 19:13 18 Jul 08

Thanks for all the replies. I did think of using Acronis True Image, but I don't really want to have to install any software on the drive that's currently in the computer.

I'll probably buy a Seagate hard drive. Can anyone give me the correct link to download the software you recommend from its website?

Thanks,

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…