Recommend free image backup software for W7

mooly 08:13 27 Nov 10

Finally pursuaded a friend to buy their first PC, a Toshiba 17" Satellite laptop. Although it comes with a lot of preinstalled stuff (Nero backup etc) these appear to be trial progs only.

Are there any free progs similar to Acronis that I use that would allow for full and incremental backups to be made on the D partition of the HDD.

The OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

I had come across this from Paragon,
click here

This friend hasn't even an internet connection at present... but they will have hopefully in the next week or two.

thanks

tullie 08:18 27 Nov 10

I would use Acronis True Image for sure,however,i would allways save image to an external drive.If your hard drive becomes unusable,the backup is no good if installed there.

rawprawn 08:36 27 Nov 10

If you value the data on the machine, and peace of mind. Pay for Acronis it is by far the safest route to take, and the small ammount spent buying it could be worth it 10 times over if things go wrong.
click here

rawprawn 08:47 27 Nov 10

I have just read some of the customer reviews on the link I gave you, they are not good at all. However I have never had a problem, it backs up at restores in about 30 minutes, and is simple to use.
I have only ever heard people comment on which version of Acronis they think is best never heard it trashed.
I have never tried Paragon so I can't comment, but I have seen some good reports.

mooly 09:04 27 Nov 10

Thank... I use Acronis (TI 10 with Vista) and it's never failed me either. I suspect a lot of folk just don't use it correctly, or store say incrementals on a separate drive and perhaps delete and alter files etc.

Tullie... I know a separate drive is the best way, just want to keep it really simple... heck even I don't use a separate drive but do back up user data on flash memory.

I wonder if Paragon allows a bootable CD to be created like Acronis.

onthelimit 09:14 27 Nov 10

Yes it does. Now if only I could remember where I put it!

rdave13 09:27 27 Nov 10

More info; click here
Create a bootable usb flash drive .

David4637 09:44 27 Nov 10

HAS NOT W7 GOT AN INBUILT IMAGE BACKUP PROG SIMILAR TO ACRONIS??? David

rawprawn 10:48 27 Nov 10

I hear you David4637, and yes it has. However maybe mooly prefers something different.

birdface 10:56 27 Nov 10

Yes Windows7 has its own back up program.
You can create a system image or a system repair disc with it.
I have never used it so not sure how good it is.

BRYNIT 11:09 27 Nov 10

Easeus ToDo backup is another free program click here again you can create a bootable disk. I think even a bootable flash drive.

Paragon and Easeus both offer other free programs that are worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…