recommend a basic html/mht editor to remove content?

theDarkness 16:08 PM 20 Jun 11

I need a webpage html editor that I can easily remove items from. I would like it to be able to open mht files. I have tried Kompozer so far, but it often "cannot open webpage for unknown reason", possibly due to using certain content eg frames - so can anyone recommend something with far better compatibility? I dont need anything too advanced, as im only needing it at present to highlight and remove images and text (eg adverts) on saved pages in order to save paper as I print each website. Thanks for any help :)

adam32 23:21 PM 20 Jun 11

That started off (I think) as a request for a text/code editor or IDE, but ended up being about the common problem of websites that lack print CSS.

To fix the omissions of lazy designers, you would be better off using a bookmarklet (such as Printliminator), a browser add-on (such as Aardvark for Firefox), or possibly custom user CSS (for those browsers that support this feature). Either of the first two options are your best and most convenient solution.

theDarkness 19:07 PM 21 Jun 11

I eventually managed to reduce/delete unwanted material by before printing by adding my saved webpage into microsoft office (2007). Not the perfect way to do it perhaps, but I got what I needed in the end-although not everything seemed to be editable.

Thanks for the replies, I will try those methods in future :)

Ansolan 22:34 PM 21 Jun 11

If you like simplified pages, worth looking Readability

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know