Recommend amd64 959 Motherboard with PCI-e slots?

Tonycooper3 13:55 07 May 05

Hi,

I bought a Asus A8V Wireless edition as it was the 'Editors Choice' featured in a recent PC mag review, but it turns out it doesn't have PCI-express slots which are essential to plug in the video card I also bought - A Sparkle Geforce 6600GT.

In addition I need a MB with a PC2.1 compliant slot so I can fit the Audigy 2 ZS.

PLEASE recommend me a really good Motherboard

Tony

PS As an aside, I have read that in the not so distance future if you're into gaming, you'll need PCI-e slots as the latest cutting-edge graphics cards will support only x16 PCI Express slots - is this true? If that's the case it's a bit seems a bit daft recommending it as the 'Editors choice in a PC mag'

Joe R 14:01 07 May 05

Tonycooper3,

click here

I can thoroughly recommend this board, having bought it myself, just after it was released.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:02 07 May 05

see here for a mass test click here

Tonycooper3 15:05 07 May 05

Hi , thanks for the feedback -

Joe R - Not sure if the PCI slots on that EPoX EP-9NPA+ board are 2.1 compliant? It doesn't seem to mention that in the tech spec, but if they aren't, I won't be able to use the Audigy 2 ZS -

Arthur - Cheers for the test info - looks like either the Gigabyte K8NXP or the K8N Neo2 from MSI are alternatives. But as above I'm a bit concerned the sound card wont fit..

Cheers

Joe R 15:32 07 May 05

Tonycooper3,

Unsure myself.

I know it is PCI 2.3 compliant, but can't find details, to see if this, is backwards compatible.

Tonycooper3 19:39 07 May 05

Cheers for the response Joe - this whole PCI compatibility thing seems to be a bit of a mess.

Joe R 19:45 07 May 05

Tonycooper3,

I know you would like to keep your Audigy 2 ZS, but just to inform you, the quality of the onboard 7.1 sound is superb, when aided by the Nforce 4 chipset.

I had an Audigy 5.1 card, but stuck it into my Kid's P.C., after I heard this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…