Recommend an "all-in-one" security package ?

daba 00:07 16 Nov 04

OK, many of us...

.. know about Anti-Virus

.. Know about Ad blockers

.. Know about anti-diallers

.. know about evidence eliminators

.. Know about pop-up and pop-under blockers

.. know about 'Spy' blockers

.. know about profiler blockers

.. know about 'net-nanny' software

.. know about e-mail spam filtering software

Its all getting out of hand, and too much to keep track of ...!!!!

Thankfully, most of the apps we have installed are resident, and run as required, although some require manual starting to achieve their aims.

Sometimes 1 or 2 of don't like being in the same PC as 1 or 2 of the others, which is not very helpfull if you're a complete PC novice.

All the packages we run require updating regularly, and it has got to the stage where we all need to be "medium to high level" computer literate in order to maintain these packages so they remain effective, this is also true because the software often assumes the user has a level of PC intelligence above that of most users (the high-street retailers sell PCs today like they sold refrigerators 10 years ago !)

What the consumer needs is an integrated package that will perform ALL of the security duties described, with a 'low-maintenance' overhead that would make it easy for an inexperienced or casual user to use effectively.

Is there a tried and tested all-in-one solution ?

And, since I'm all for an easy life, I'd probably use an integrated, do-it-all solution, myself, (er-hum, hence the post....).

This site has in the past recommended the software packages I regularly use, eg. AVG, SPF, Ad-Aware, Ad-Subtract, Spy-Bot S&D, CCleaner, amongst others, with great effect. (If anyone wants to know the history of this PC, it has NOT HAD a re-install of the O/S, EVER ! I mean, NEVER HAD a reformat / re-install in about 6 years!, it has been upgraded in software terms from Windows 3.1 to '95 to '98 to '98SE, and in hardware terms, there is nothing left of the original '95 machine !! (like the proverbial Triggers brush its had several new heads and several new stales)). But still it runs sweet as a nut, thanks to the tools I use to keep it ship-shape.

Even though I can (just about) manage the various security apps I have, there is a desperate need for the all-in-one solution.

Any ideas ??

TomJerry 00:30 16 Nov 04

Mcafee Internet Security Suite 2005: click here

Keeps your PC safe online. Includes 2005 versions of VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller and Privacy Service.

Mcafee's Virus Scan is the best (only my view) which biught from Dr Solomon, I think other components are bought from other good compaies, so a good package.

Norton may also have something similar, but do not link Norton anymore since the death of DOS version of Norton Commander.

Zonelab's ZoneAlarm Security Suite also have everything in one package: click here

enough to chose from, nothing to complain about

daba 00:35 16 Nov 04

McAfee, is that what you use ?

TomJerry 10:54 16 Nov 04

which scores very highly in catching virus in many comparision tests.

SEASHANTY 11:16 16 Nov 04

Our local branch of WH Smith has the 2004 version of McAfee Internet Security Suite still at the full price of £49-99. However at the start of this year I purchased the 2003 version of this from Staples for £25. Its installed on one of my PC's and still
gives me regular updates. If you wait until DEC or JAN you may get the 2004 suite for half price. Doubt if there is anything that vitally important in the 2005 version.

woodt 11:21 16 Nov 04

IMO the problem with all-in-one packages is that they are 'Jack of all trades and master of none'. Stick with the individual components. Major players like McAfee and Norton tend to take over your PC and are hard to remove completely.

Belatucadrus 11:56 16 Nov 04

Not into all in one packages, if one part fails or succumbs to attack, seems a fair chance that the whole package could grind to a halt, less likely with individual components. But if you want a package, check out click here;jsessionid=2a303152001100605828187?&CFID=504205&CFTOKEN=9ecd3ef4e144dbc2-E6D9FA79-EE7E-29FC-780EA2C315170335&jsessionid=2a301197391099089705594&CFID=62511&CFTOKEN=6aea849875774217-41382C5B-DC1D-2AF1-5ED7F0AC95727529&jsessionid=2a303152001100605828187 still available with a year free on a deal with Microsoft.

woodt 11:59 16 Nov 04

Belatucadrus 12:06 16 Nov 04

Strangely enough the link still works despite pruning quite a chunk off the back, I've advise FE.

SEASHANTY 15:55 16 Nov 04

That last link click here seems to have expanded this thread into double landscape size.

SEASHANTY 15:56 16 Nov 04

That last link click here seems to have expanded this thread into double landscape size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…