recomended wireless network

conrail 20:36 12 May 05

looking to set up a wireless network for 2 pc's and 1 laptop using broadband, can someone recommend a decent make/model, something that is easy to set up,
I have visited a computer fair and PC World, both offered the same, Belkin models and PC World was cheaper by about £20

handful 08:01 13 May 05

I would suggest you need something similar to what I have just bought click here

If I said it was simple to set up I would be lying but then again it was the first time I had ever done any kind of networking. Now it is up and running it works a treat and I have currently got 128 bit WEP encryption working but will probably have a dabble with WPA at some point. As you have a requirement for 3 connections you would need to buy an extra USB dongle or PCMCIA connection depending on your laptop. Hope this helps but others may be able to recommend other ADSL routers that work as well but are easier to set up.

VideoSentry 10:30 13 May 05

I have the same setup as 'Handful' and though it took a couple of goes to get it all working correctly ( 3 PC's )I think more due to Me than the equipment, I also found their help line ver helpful. And it has not dropped a connection yet.
What ISP are you with? because I have read that some ISP's will not help depending on the set up you have.
Brian

conrail 10:46 13 May 05

thanks guys, I will have a look at that, I am on NTL broadband and I have a D-Link card in at the moment receiving the cable from the ntl box

towserr 23:49 13 May 05

With regard to the above. Has anyone used a BT Voyager 2100 and is it as good as the press reports suggest ?

PRS 12:15 14 May 05

I have a BT 2100 Voyager and have eventually got two ethernet and one wireless computers able to see one another and use each others' printers. As a complete newcomer to networking I did not find it too daunting to set up (although there were some interesting times along the way)
I am a little disappointed with the range indoors - but our 265 yr-old house has very thick walls!

Strawballs 21:03 14 May 05

If you are on NTL then you will only need a router not one with built in modem and it has to be one with a network connection (RJ45) not USB.
I am on NTL and am running a Linksys wrt54g for some time now easy to setup supports WEP and WPA encryption and have never had a problem with it.

conrail 09:44 16 Jun 05

thanks guys. got a belkin router and set up was so easy, thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…