Recomended AGP with Digital TV Tuner

Killo Bite 14:13 15 Apr 07

have had a ATI Radeon AGP card with a Analogue TV Tuner but want to upgrade to a Digital TV Tuner not expternal but internal.

Can someone recomend there or a avaiable intergrated TV Tuner with AGP Graphics card or is it better to replace and have a new AGP and a new Digital TV Tuner Card.

Thanks for help here.

Stuartli 14:26 15 Apr 07

You should be able to use your current graphics card with a Freeview TV card - the digital transmissions are converted back to analogue in any case, just as with a set top box.

Killo Bite 14:35 15 Apr 07

Good to hear from you again! been a long time.

You say the transmissions are converted back to Analogue. Are any digital or is the the way it works with them all of them?

So what I understand is what cards claim to be digital so you get the digital channels but they all convert back to a Analouge signal.

Cheers

Killo Bite 15:42 15 Apr 07

my current ATI AGP card has a Tuner already on it it would cause problem wouldn't it if I added a second tuner ?

So I really need to think either a new AGP car with Digital tuner intergrated OR separate AGP and standalone Digital Tuner.

Killo Bite 21:09 15 Apr 07

TV Tuner combo with graphics AGP card.

Stuartli 22:37 15 Apr 07

The main reason behind Freeview digital transmissions (originally ON/ITVDigital) was to increase the number of channels available for a given bandwidth.

As TV sets were analogue - just as with monitors for so long - the set top boxes/Freeview PCI TV cards/USB sticks have to convert the digital signals back to analogue, otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch any programmes.

It's also the reason for the slight delay if you are watching a normal terrestial transmission and are also able to see it on another set fed by a Freeview box.

There is one benefit. When the analogue transmitters are all finally closed down by 2012, you will still be able to use analogue TV sets and a set top box to watch the programmes.

There do seem to be combined AGP cards and TV tuner such as this one:

click here

click here

but only analogue.

The cheapest solution is most likely to be an AGP card and separate PCI or USB stick digital TV tuner.

Stuartli 22:44 15 Apr 07

See:

click here

Not clear if it's digital.

Killo Bite 23:11 15 Apr 07

looks like going for a standalone one of each like you say would give a better result.

Best Regards
Steven.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now