Recognising second hard drive

bazza11 17:48 04 Feb 09

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with 640GB (2x320GB)7200rpm SATA hard drive-dual HDD config.
My Computer shows OS(C:)with total size of 288GB and free space of 37.8GB, and the computer is running slowly.
There is also a DATAPART1 (D:)drive with 298GB, and a third RECOVERY(E:)drive with total size 9.99GB and free space of 4.71GB.
How do I access the full 640GB (or the second drive)to restore its performance? Thanks.

canarieslover 18:45 04 Feb 09

DATAPART1 gives the clue as to what to do. Use this for all your data files. When saving files the programs will try to save to folders within My Documents but you can either 'Move' the complete My Documents folder to D: or make new folders for Docs, Spreadsheets etc. To move My Documents you need to - Right click on icon, select Properties, Select Move, Expand My Computer, Select D:, Click New Folder, Name it My Documents, Click O.K., Click Apply. then sit and wait while it transfers your My Documents folder and all it's contents to drive D:. You may want to go and have a cup of tea or two while it does this, depending on how much you have stored. This is for XP.

bazza11 20:21 04 Feb 09

Thanks very much. Will it work on Vista too?

canarieslover 07:40 05 Feb 09

I don't use Vista so I can't confirm that it is the same. A quick Google has produced this click here which would seem to indicate that the process is the same.

bazza11 09:16 05 Feb 09

Thank you very much, Canarieslover. It worked, and I have transferred My Documents, My Videos, and My Pictures to Drive D. It has made a big difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5