Recognising & formatting a slave drive in XP

stugra 23:14 08 Aug 03

I am running a P3 500MHz machine with XP pro.
I have bought a new hard drive to replace a failed one, and wish to use it as a slave. I cannot get windows to see the slave drive. Windows will list it in device manager but nowhere else.

My master drive is a Seagate ST340810A. This is jumpered to 'master or single drive' & 'limit capacity to 32Gb'.

My new slave drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80Gb ATA/133 drive which appears as Maxtor 6Y080L0 in device manager. It is jumpered to slave, but I cannot cap the limit on this drive as one of the pins is already being used to house the slave jumper. By setting the jumper to cap limit only fails to get the drive recognised in BIOS. The only other jumper options are DS(MASTER) and CS ENABLED.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

tony1160 23:34 08 Aug 03

have you used fdisk on new drive first , and then formatted new drive so it can be seen , and detect in your bios and of corse jumper setting?

tony1160 23:35 08 Aug 03

Cable select

powerless 23:35 08 Aug 03

Start > Run > Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click ok.

You slave drive will be seen as Disk 1. Right click and choose Initialize.

Now you can format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…