Rechargeable AA's-overnight first charge?

dagbladet 13:56 25 Nov 03

After many positive comments on this board, i went for the uni-ross ultra fast charger and 4 x 2000amh. click here

It claims to fully charge your batteries in 1-2 hours. My question is, should I give them a longer (overnight?) initial charge as per a mobile phone ?

BTW 7dayshop were quick. Ordered on Thursday afternoon, (not priority service), arrived 7 o'clock Monday morning.

Djohn 14:03 25 Nov 03

It would seem a good idea and one that I followed myself, Says in the instructions that you can't overcharge them with the supplied charger as it cuts out when full.

I also let my batteries fully discharge every fourth or fifth time before recharging, otherwise I just charge them as and when they are running low. j.

hssutton 14:14 25 Nov 03

No this is not neccessary, but will not do any harm. I sometimes leave my batteries charging for several days. What is most important, is that you use and recharge them several times. This type of battery needs "conditioning" and this is done by use.
I have been using them in my digicams for the past three years, during this time I have never used the discharge cycle as this is not needed on Ni-MH batteries

Stuartli 14:15 25 Nov 03

You should charge the batteries for the time period stated they require the first time - you cannot get a quart into a pint pot.

The beauty of NiMH batteries is that, unlike NiCAD versions, they do not have a memory point and can be recharged when partially exhausted.

But as Djohn advises, the occasional full discharge helps to maintain maximum battery life potential.

Incidentally I do this with my Philips Savvy DB mobile phone's battery about once a month and even though it is now four years old, the battery still maintains a full charge for the stated talk/standby periods.

Ex Cossack 14:17 25 Nov 03

Formally pj123. I have a "TRONIC" Universal NiCad and NIMH battery charger and I sometimes leave my NImH batteries on charge for days (I forget) and there does not seem to be any adverse effects. My charger also has a "Test" mode and a "Discharge" mode, but because NImH batteries do not have a memory problem I have never used the Discharge mode.

dagbladet 15:19 25 Nov 03

Thanks everybody. I expect there is some useful advice on the packaging, but before I could get to it , it was..ahem "tidied up". BTW for anybody suffering from weary mobile phone batteries, if you or a friend are ever popping over to Prague to soak up the culture....or lager. Good high amp Li-on batteries are about £6-£7. I even got one for my stand-by Motorola d520(NIMH) for £2.50 . Ticking now.

Stuartli 17:43 25 Nov 03

On a formal note, I think you mean "formerly"..:-)

hssutton 19:40 25 Nov 03

You may find this of interest click here

dagbladet 21:16 25 Nov 03

hssutton

Fantastic link, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…