Recently-used files in MS Word

richard 16:09 20 Mar 03

I seem to have lost the recently-used files in MS Word. I have looked in the options and the tick box for it is greyed out -

recap 16:12 20 Mar 03

richard, try the Detect & Repair facility in the help menu of Word as this problem is most probably a registry one. You may be prompted for the Office disc so have it at hand.

richard 16:22 20 Mar 03

already tried that - to no avail!

richard 16:22 20 Mar 03

thanks Recap

already tried that - to no avail!

watchful 19:13 20 Mar 03

Have you tried the drop-down menu at end of toolbar and selected customize. There is a list of boxes to tick there and one of them is for Task Pane.
Otherwise the View on top menu bar has an option for Task Pane as well.

VoG™ 19:23 20 Mar 03

Deleting the Data Key:
NOTE: Deleting the Data key resets several options back to the default settings, including the File menu most recently used file list, and many settings you customize in the Options dialog boxes.

Most common options (click Options on the Tools menu) are stored in the Data key. One troubleshooting step is to delete the Data key. Word rebuilds this Data key by using the default settings the next time the program is started.

To delete the Data key, follow these steps:

NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

Quit all instances of Word, including WordMail.
On the Windows taskbar, click the Start button and click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and click OK.
Locate the following key by double-clicking the appropriate folders.

With the Data folder selected (on the left), click Delete on the Edit menu to delete the key.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Quit the registry editor and restart Word normally (without using the /a switch).
If Word starts correctly, you have resolved the problem. The problem is a damaged Data key. You may need to change a few settings to restore your favorite options.

To edit or delete other registry entries:

Use the preceding steps but substitute the correct registry key in step 4, and then use Modify or Delete in step 5.

NOTE: Some keys are automatically rebuilt when you run Word. To rebuild other keys, you must reinstall the program by using the /y switch on the command line to recreate the correct entry. For more information see the following section.

From click here

richard 00:24 21 Mar 03

many thanks VoG - you set me on the right track. i use Office XP and checking the MS Knowledge base, it suggested using TweakUI (Article 284896 - OFFXP: "Most Recently Used" List Missing from File Menu and "Recently Used File List" Option Unavailable) - the same was happening in Excel

anyway - followed instructions and i'm cured

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…