Recently used files list in MS Word

stlucia 14:42 17 Jun 03

My office has just upgraded to MS Office XP. Now, whenever I open a Word attachment to an email (usually just to print it) it gets added to my list of recently used files in Word. This defeats the object of having a list of recently used files because the ones I was actually working on in Word, and want to go back to, have been bumped down the list and off it. Even worse, the email attachments are added to the list with temporary file references which are no longer valid once the email has been closed.

So, the question is, how do I stop email attachment files being added to the Word recently used file list in these circumstances, so that it only show the files I've actually been working on?

Jester2K II 14:57 17 Jun 03

You can't really becasue you have been "working" on the ones you opened!!

Try Tools Menu, options, General tab, and increase the number to 9 (maximum). Might stop them dropping off the list so soon...

stlucia 15:20 17 Jun 03

Thanks Jester2K II, you've confirmed my worst fear! But on the previous version of Word we were using (2000, I think) email attachments were not added to my recently used file list, whether or not I had been "working" on them ... so why has Bill changed the format, and why can't I get back to the old format?

By the way, I've already expanded the list to its maximum of 9. It's then goes off the bottom of the screen, but that's another issue!

fitshase 15:29 17 Jun 03

Try right clicking on the attachement and selecting "print".

This quickly opens Word, prints the document then shuts word down.

I've just tried it with Word file saved on my desktop and it doesn't add it to the list on your File menu.

Regards

Fitshase

stlucia 15:35 17 Jun 03

Thanks fitshase, I've just tried that and it works for me. But normally I don't need to have hard copy, so I just read attachments on the screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…