Recent problem with networked printer

Peter Lanky 20:33 PM 10 Apr 12

I have a networked Xerox Phaser 6125 printer shared between a number of networked PCs. Recently, I find that when I send a job to the printer, it doesn't print and eventually becomes an 'error'. The only way to cure this is to delete the printer and reinstall the driver from the CD. This is the same on all computers. The printing previously worked fine, so I'm after suggestions as to what may have caused this, and possible solutions. Windows 7 professional 64 bit. Almost certainly it is not a printer problem, but a software/network issue. Router TP-Link WR1043ND. Switch TP-Link TL-SG1005D.

difarn 14:02 PM 12 Apr 12

A few things immediately sprint to mind:-

Have you made sure that the driver is up to date?

Have your settings somehow changed and printer share is set to off?

Are you trying to print from a web page using IE9 as there are known issues?

Peter Lanky 17:29 PM 12 Apr 12

I use the original driver, as I have found updating it to be a pain. However I encounterd no problems previously with the same equipment.

I've checked sharing and it is OK.

I don't use Internet Explorer.

The problem seems to have occurred since I changed my router which suggests to me a possible network issue, but I don't have any other network issues.

difarn 18:22 PM 12 Apr 12

Is this printer actually connected to the router rather than being shared through a workgroup or homegroup? If it is the former have you checked that the IP address of the printer has somehow been changed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know