Recent Documents on Start Menu

westwit 17:24 25 Feb 04

I have taken over my son's computer, running Windows 98 SE and MS Office 97, and I can't get shortcuts to my recent documents to show in the "Documents" folder on the Start Menu. There is only a shortcut to the whole "My Documents" folder, and below this a greyed-out '(Empty)' message. There is presumably a setting that restores this useful function but I'm blowed if I can find it.
Any ideas?

Stuartli 17:37 25 Feb 04
  Stuartli 17:46 25 Feb 04

Probably would have been even easier to look up the above information in the Microsoft Help files - that's what they're there for...:-)

Peter 19:38 25 Feb 04

You could try resetting the Documents list by right clicking on the Task Bar and selecting Properties. Then select the "Start Menu Programmes" tab and click the "Clear" Documents Menu button.

The above instructions are for Windows 95 but should be a fairly close approximation for later Windows versions.

Peter.

westwit 00:47 26 Feb 04

Thanks for the responses. Stuartli's response was no good as it's for Windows XP. Right clicking on Start button in Windows 98 does not bring up a 'properties' item. And I did look first at the MS Help file - it doesn't help.

I tried Peter's advice to reset the recently used documents list, in case that would kick start it, but no good.

The recent documents feature worked fine on my old PC using Windows 95 and the same MS Office 97; it showed Word docs, Excel files, image files etc. Is there a registry entry that might have become corrupted? I have Norton registry editor and don't mind altering an entry - if only I knew where it might be and what to change it to!

cycoze 01:08 26 Feb 04

Any programs onboard that may have been used to disable this facility , ie- Tweak UI .

westwit 01:15 26 Feb 04

Thanks Cycoze - so simple when you know! It was in the IE tab of Tweak UI.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…