Receiving VERY odd e-mail messages...

AngeTheHippy 18:31 15 May 05

Hi Chaps,
So far today, I've received 15 messages into my mailbox. I'm with Eclipse, and have sent them an e-mail asking how I'm getting these - you see, the addy they're sending to isn't actually mine! For example, e smtp@(my account), and mail-user6702@(my account)- none of my mailboxes are called e smtp@ or mail-user6702@! All seem to be regarding WW2 Bombings, example one has the subject: 'Dresden bombing is to be regretted enormously' and 'Dresden 1945' and other subjects are in German. At first, I thought I'd got some kinda Virus, but I'm not sure I have, but maybe Eclipse servers has? They all have links in the main body of the messages, directing to WW2 info, mainly how bad a time the Germans had. Has anyone else had these messages?

AngeTheHippy
xx

The Spires 18:42 15 May 05

I have had 100+ viral emails regarding all things German to my Hotmail & Operamail accounts this last two days or so. I have never before had Spam to my Operamail account. :-) you are not alone.

mattyc_92 18:46 15 May 05

Sounds like some "spammers".... Alot of these are just "computer generated" e-mail addresses waiting to see if anyone replies to the email(s) and if u do, they normally send even more.... it is an endless loop....

AngeTheHippy 19:03 15 May 05

HOW do they arrive in my in-box when not even addressed to me?? I had one addressed to davidcoombes@(my e-mail addy)! The name is all wrong buy the stuff after '@' is mine. I use Thunderbird as my client..

AngeTheHippy
xx

AngeTheHippy 19:03 15 May 05

HOW do they arrive in my in-box when not even addressed to me?? I had one addressed to davidcoombes@(my e-mail addy)! The name is all wrong but the stuff after '@' is mine. I use Thunderbird as my client..

AngeTheHippy
xx

VCR97 19:30 15 May 05

Freeserve told me that anything before the '@' is ignored. I'm guessing that happens regardless of ISP.

Diodorus Siculus 19:36 15 May 05

Emails can be sent with a BCC field (Blind Carbon Copy).

Say I send a mail to my wife with her name in the TO field, I can send the same mail at the same time to my mistress with her name in the BCC field. Thus wife does not know that mistress is getting the email expressing lots of love.

Note: this is purely hypothetical - I have neither wife nor mistress but you get the point! :-)

Stuartli 19:45 15 May 05

You two-timing son of a gun...:-)

p;3 20:16 15 May 05

this Charmed One would ask if these spam things non-invited for dinner are being chucked out unread and not spoken to or bounced:)

The Spires 23:22 15 May 05

Unread & deleted as this is not my first day.

Monument 08:01 16 May 05

I too have been getting these emails over the weekend. I am on Blueyonder and like you non are addressed to me.

I have mailwasher so they are all getting bounced from the server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…