Receiving mail on two different networked systems

I have just networked together two PC's so that they can both use the internet, share files, and use the same printer. The internet comes in via a combined ADSL modem / router. One PC is connected via a cable, the other via a wireless adapter.

The older PC is currently used by each person in my family to download all of their emails.

How can I set up the new PC so that it can have access to all the old emails they have received and download new ones? I want it so that anybody can log on to either PC without worrying where their mail messages are stored.

Both PC's are running XP Home, using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Do I have to make the older PC into some sort of mail server?

I have Office XP installed on both systems.

I use Outlook XP when I dial in to work to check my emails there.

If I moved everybody from OE to Outlook would that make things easier?

My preference would be to keep everybody on OE if at all possible.

JerryJay 17:17 11 Feb 04

You can synchronize outlook express directory on both machines using some synchronization program such as synchromagic.

LeadingMNMs 17:35 11 Feb 04

You could probably move the folder where OE stores the e-mails to a shared area and then set up both OE to open these, therefore mail downloaded on one computer would be seen on the other.

To change the folder go to Tools => Options => Maintenance => Store Folder, and change the folder to a location that can be accessed by both machines. Although for this to work the computer with the files stored would have to be on for the other one to see it and i'm not sure what would happen if both computers were to try an access the folder at the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…