Receiving hundreds of Mail Delivery System errors

Tagamet 23:11 08 Apr 07

Each day, I receive hundreds of Mail Delivery System/Postmaster/Administrator emails which appear to be from spoof email addresses. In the "To" section of these emails, the address after the @ is the same as mine.

I run McAfee several times a day, and all it picks up (regularly) is potentially unwanted cookies and removes them. Different ones then appear! They are found under c-drive, Documents and Settings, Personal Folder Name, Cookies. If I delete them, new ones appear - usually after visiting a website. In the Cookies folder, they are stored as text documents and seem to have an email address attached to them associated with whatever website I have visited.

I'm a bit of a duffer at computers, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alan H E 23:21 08 Apr 07

First of all in IE go to tools>internet options> the delete cookies and delete internet temporary files then use a squaredfrom EMSI software (its free) remember to update before scanning.

Alan H E 23:26 08 Apr 07

By the way are you using a firewall, which windows version & what bowser?

woodchip 23:32 08 Apr 07

Try moving your address book

NewestRoyWidd1 23:34 08 Apr 07

click here here's the link to a2,which is how a-squared is usually known.

Woolwell 00:10 09 Apr 07

Tagamet

This problem happens from time to time. Someone has got hold of the last part of your e-mail address and is probably sending spam from a false server. Either that or someone with your address has got a virus.

It will die down and disappear eventually. It took 6 months for me but for my wife only 1 week.

In the meantime keep running malware and anti-virus checks.

Tagamet 00:18 09 Apr 07

Many thanks to all. I will try! I am on XP, incoming mail is via orange, but ISP is Eclipse.

p;3 00:19 09 Apr 07

click here you could use this little tool to keep the unwanted mails off your computer?

also
click here

click here

click here

might not harm to run full deep scans with all of them to see if anything is ammis with your comp ; all safe ; good luck and bug hunt::))

Tagamet 00:21 09 Apr 07

I have run a McAfee scan in DOS, but didn't pick anything up.

p;3 00:28 09 Apr 07

just ONE program may miss something another program finds; which is why it is a good practice to have several items in your armoury BUT only ONE av program installed ;try those above and see what they find perhaps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…