Receiving Broadband without a phone service

ponytail 13:17 05 Jan 15

At the moment my package is unlimited broadband and also phone but is it possible to just have the broadband without a phone service.We rarely use our landline as it is cheaper to just use our mobiles as we never exceed our limit.If this is possible perhaps someone can advise as to the best provider to go to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:35 05 Jan 15

Read here

ponytail 14:21 05 Jan 15

Hi Fruit Bat just clicked on your link and can you tell me how a broadband dongle works as have never seen one and there seem to be a big choice.Thank's

ponytail 14:24 05 Jan 15

One other question can I use one of these with Apple I Pad AIR

ponytail 14:27 05 Jan 15

Hi Jock1e do you have a phone and broadband service and what sort of price are you paying if you don't mind me asking.I am paying on average about £35 a month with TalkTalk that is phonecalls and fibre optic broadband.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 05 Jan 15

Basically a BB dongle is a usb stick with a sim card in it. It will connect to the web same as your phone does

to get speed you need 4G and its expensive if you use a lot of data.

ponytail 17:06 05 Jan 15

Found this on Google click here

ponytail 17:09 05 Jan 15

click here sure if this link works

Not

Ian in Northampton 17:15 05 Jan 15

ponytail: we use the 3 mobile Internet access for when my wife is visiting her mother, who doesn't have Internet. It works well. The key issues are a) reception - will it work where you need it to work? b) speed - while speed is usually good enough for casual web browsing, it's not always good enough for e.g. watching video, c) reliability - it's less reliable than a fixed line, and d) download limit. For many users, 15GB is probably more than ample - but you wouldn't want to be downloading too many large files such as films.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ said, it's just a USB stick that allows you to connect to the Internet wirelessly. An alternative is 'tethering': many mobile phones can also act as a wi-fi hotspot. Thus, they have access to the Internet as they would usually do, but the addition of wi-fi enables the phone to, in effect, do what the 3 dongle is. However, download limits on mobile phones can be pretty restrictive, it's generally an expensive thing to do - and many operator contracts specifically prevent you from tethering, even if the phone has a fairly generous download limit.

bremner 17:24 05 Jan 15

One other question can I use one of these with Apple I Pad AIR?

No you can't.

You would need an iPad with cellular capability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…