Receive OK but not able to send eMail

Jollyjohn 16:17 18 Mar 14

Here is one to ponder, if I get an answer I will be very impressed.

BTinternet.com eMail address using BT servers, incoming and outgoing.

I know BT are having huge amounts of hassle at present and have reset password as requested.

Main computer is iMac using Mac Mail, updated to Snow Leopard after BT blamed Mac.

2nd device W7 laptop using LiveMail - BT now blame Windows for the issues.

As title says I can receive but not send, keeps rejecting password.

Changed outgoing serverto the one provided by my website host - yippee I can send.

Ooops no I cant, well not reliably and not if both iMac and laptop are online.

Any (sensible) suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Woolwell 17:06 18 Mar 14

If you have the smtp settings absolutely correct including ports and authentication, ssl requirements then it may well be a problem at BT's end with one of their servers and they are failing to acknowledge it. Assume that you could send before. Probably clear up on its own.

Ian in Northampton 19:42 18 Mar 14

I'm with Woolwell on this. You have an authentication problem, and it's more likely at their end than at yours. It's happened occasionally with my Plusnet connection, and generally resolves itself in fairly short order.

Jollyjohn 10:47 19 Mar 14

Thanks guys.

I rang BT tech experts, a chargeable service, and they admitted problems with BT servers, and didn't charge me.

My puzzlement is that when I used the alternative SMTP server, I am still not getting a reliable service. Using Connction Doctor on Mac, it show connected and logged in but the message just sits in the outbox.

onthelimit1 11:01 19 Mar 14

If you login to mail via the BT.com website, can you then send?

Jollyjohn 13:18 19 Mar 14

onthelimit1 - yes we can, that's why BT first blamed Mac Mail then Live Mail. Quote "Your server is working therefore it is your software that is at fault"

Jollyjohn 16:07 04 Apr 14

So after putting a complaint in writing to BT we got a call from the level 2 technical team, still India, who went through the settings again and we got the sending to work, for 15 minutes. When the level 2 team rang back an hour later to check and we informed it was no longer working the reply was - "your service works at the server therefore it is not our problem, goodbye"

I think it is time to change providers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos