Rebuild - logical sequence...

wotbus@ 20:07 25 Jan 06

Soon I will be upgrading my PC with a new mobo, CPU, PSU and HDD. I have a new SLI graphics card to fit also. I intend disconnecting my existing HDD and reinstalling my OS clean with a slipstream version I have prepared. I also have the new BIOS ready to be flashed from the beginning plus the latest nvidea chipset drivers. Anyone out there feel ready to offer me a step by step guide or point me to a good site where I can read same? From what I have read already, a bit of good luck would be nice too ;-)

jack 20:22 25 Jan 06

My first comment would your upgrading an old computer with a new one - the only bits staying seemingly are the case and floppy- So throwaway the case ,Floppy and the rest of it and get a nice new one -ready made and far cheaper than you can build.
However many of the volume makes are making computers now that are progressively 'upgrade proof'
IE you you can't or only ever so slightly.
So take a look at people like click here
they sell MoBo/CPU bundles to complete[upgradable] boxes.

VoG II 20:25 25 Jan 06

I don't understand why you think that you have to flash the BIOS on a new mobo.

eqskey 20:37 25 Jan 06

This is'nt what I call upgrading it is a total rebuild with top of the range devices!Is the SLI card the only item that you currently have?Looks like you will be forced to build your team around this star player~thus making it a very expensive build.
Unless you are into the latest video games I would sell the card and build a more realistic pc.

wotbus@ 20:39 25 Jan 06

Thanks jack and hi VoG™. jack - I already have the bits and I have thought already about a complete new unit - still may. VoG™ Why? 2 sites dedicated to the mobo [A8N-SLI] repeatedly state that the latest BIOS has to be used from the start - just following advice! I does seem strange to me but like I say, that's what I read. Personally I don't understand why it has to be upgraded to the latest at the start as upgrading it later also seems possible

wotbus@ 20:41 25 Jan 06

Thanks eqskey - already have the components. Card is middle of the range and end result will be realistic for me as I do a lot of video rendering as well.

garrema 20:46 25 Jan 06

You have bought the bits so I will not hinder you by questioning what bits you have bought.
An "SLI" card is not so special & I don't understand one of the comments here. You can get a <£100 SLI GPU!
I would refer you to this website which will do a good job of leading you through putting the parts together;
click here
Oh & good luck

ed-0 20:48 25 Jan 06

So lets look at what you are trying to achive.

You are keeping the case but switching the psu. ( easy )

you want to swap the motherboard, install a new cpu but keep the memory? ( fairly easy )

You are keeping all your optical drives but will use a new hard drive to boot from. ( easy )

If you are sure every thing is compatable.

I would

Open the case, take out all the ide ribbons, including the floppy ribbon. Take them from the motherboard and from the back of the drives.

Take out any PCI and or AGP cards from the computer.

Take out the power leads from the optical and hard drives. Pull the ATX power connector from the motherboard. Take the 4 retaining screws from the PSU an ease the psu out. Be carefull if the case is standing up. The psu is just held by those 4 screws and may fall on to the board. Support it.

Disconnect the fron panel connectors on the motherboard. Leave the memory and cpu in.

undo the screws holding the motherboard and ease out.

Place new motherboard on antistatic mat. Insert the new cpu with heat sink and fan. Make sure you use a compound if it does not come with a foam pad. Insert old ram.

Insert new motherboard into case ( it is the same size? so the risers should match) screw down carefully.

Insert new hard drive into bay.

Put old PCI and AGP cards in to new board.

Fit IDE leads to motherboard and then to drives.

Fit in new PSU and fit the 4 screws. Connect the ATX to the motherboard and to the optical drives.

Connect the front panel connectors to the motherboard.

Switch on the computer and watch it post.:-))

Mr Mistoffelees 20:48 25 Jan 06

The usual wisdom with regard to BIOS flashing is don't unless you really have to perhaps to gain support for a faster cpu. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have never found it necessary.

eqskey 20:51 25 Jan 06

Upgrading the bios from the start will be down to some of the earlier boards missing out on existing updates.This is a result of hardware developing at a rapid pace.I never buy the latest because the early buyers are the guinea pigs for that piece of equipment.

wotbus@ sounds like an ideal pc for video editing.Good luck.

wotbus@ 20:55 25 Jan 06

Hi garrema. Of course it's a matter of opinion, but SLI cards are a bit special with respect to the A8N mobo [and others] as 2 identical cards can be run together. Sorry if the card comment was misleading but I was in response to a previous post about the card being the "star" player - t is possible to spend £500 on an SLI card. Thanks for the link, just been there and it looks like what I want. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…