Rebooting problem on Dell Dimension 9100

bruno 17:58 12 May 09

My grandson's computer has suddenly started not to start.When he logs on it immediately logs him off again. Is anyone familiar with this?
Also which button do I need to press to gain access to Safe Mode?

lotvic 21:21 12 May 09

Here is the page where you can download the owners manual pdf click here

Dell diagnostics page 48 says to press F11 at the Dell Logo on Boot Up. This brings up a menu to choose from, including Safe Mode.

If you can't get it to boot to safe mode the pc may have Spyware/virus that has caused the logs off as soon as logged in problem.
This microsoft KB explains more click here (though I doubt you will be able to use the suggested solution as need to be networked and do it through remote access)

lotvic 21:26 12 May 09

typo :( it should be F12 and not F11

bruno 09:36 13 May 09

Thanks for your help. I will now give it a go. My local shop said it sounded like a virus so I think a re installation may be necessary.

lotvic 19:41 13 May 09

Reinstallation back to factory-fresh out of the box
Just hold down Ctrl and press F11 at the Dell logo on boot up.
You will be able to choose the recovery option that puts it back to when it was first delivered.

It's in the manual that I gave link to.
Takes less than 20 minutes.

bruno 08:33 14 May 09

Thanks for that. I presume I will need the disc for this. At the moment they are trying to find it. My own disc is specific to my PC only.

JanetO 08:40 14 May 09

I've done it without the disc. The drivers and software are located in a hidden partition.

bruno 09:00 14 May 09

Thanks Janeto, I will see if it works for me.

lotvic 10:13 14 May 09

JanetO is correct, you don't need the disc
The recovery contains an image of C:\ complete with all the drivers.

In fact if you do use the disc to reinstall you will lose the Ctrl + F11 recovery facility and will also then have to start reinstalling the drivers etc as the Dell XP Disc only contains an OEM XP and the Drivers are on a separate cd (or can be downloaded from Dell website)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac